Help needed--F100 lens mount repair

wogears

<p>I think my F100 is cursed. I just gave it a brand-new (old stock) back. Today I was mounting a lens, when a small (3mm sq) plastic tab broke off. Examination showed that it was the aperture indicator tab found at the outside top of the lens mount. I think this communicates the maximum aperture of the lens? I now get an FEE error with AF and chipped AI lenses. </p>

<p>Here's the question: can I replace the aperture indicator on the F100 with one from an N90s? (I have a spare one of those.) I am competent to take apart the mount and make the replacement. (I think) The advantage would be that the N90 has a METAL tab which would be unlikely to break. (Grumbles at use of plastic at critical points.) If not, are these parts available anywhere, or should I look for a 'parts camera' on eBay or at KEH? Can I find a repair manual for this mount, or at least an exploded diagram?</p>

<p>Help would be very much appreciated,<br>

Les</p>

<p>Les -</p>

<p>I have an 18 page parts & exploded diagram/list for the F100 with very good legability.</p>

<p>The mount is on 4 pages so I cannot really post it here and make it visible.</p>

<p>If you want, contact me and I can email you a copy. Just know it looks a bit complicated.</p>

<p>Jim M</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I think this communicates the maximum aperture of the lens? I now get an FEE error with AF and chipped AI lenses.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>It communicates the relative aperture, i.e. Δ<em>f</em>, the difference in <em>f</em>/stops between maximum aperture (metering aperture) and the current aperture. It's the part that <strong>A</strong>utomatically <strong>I</strong>ndexes the meter for non-CPU lenses <strong>AI</strong> and <strong>Ai</strong>S lenses.</p>

<p>For AF/AF-D lenses and chipped Ai/AiS lenses it's used to confirm that the aperture ring has been rotated to minimum aperture, hence your fEE error.</p>

<p>Somehow I doubt the parts are interchangeable, but one never knows. I guess you're about to find out. Good luck. :-)</p>

<p>UPDATE: Thanks to Jim's diagram, I was able to figure out the part number of the broken piece. Googling that number led me to a thread on--THIS SITE! There I found the name associated with the part number--F100 Aperture Coupling Ring. Googling THAT led me to an eBay dealer who has lots of NOS. I will now call my usual repair person and find out his cost to replace the ring; if it is too high, I will order the OEM part and install it.</p>