Just As I Found Them

<p>An interesting find, in that a distant relative emailed me to say that she'd found a couple of old cameras among her uncle's belongings, the old chap having passed away in his late 90's a few months ago. She said there was an "Inax and a Voighander" and that the local camera shop had suggested a value of $50 for the pair, and would I be interested? She couldn't post pictures, but described the cameras to the best of her ability, and I formed the impression that it was a Kinax Alsace and probably a Voigtlander Vito of some description. </p>

<p>As I have an Alsace and a fair selection of Vitos of various models, I very nearly said "No thanks", but since she'd kindly thought of me and my preoccupation with aged cameras, I felt obliged to take her up on her offer. These two turned up about an hour ago, and you can imagine my delight when the "Vito" turned out to be a very tidy example of the illustrious Vitessa. It has the Ultron f/2.0 lens, the hard-to-come-by lens hood and a Kontur Viewfinder, both in their little leather cases. For those of you unfamiliar with the Kontur, it's a cunning device that mystifies the uninitiated; looking into the large rear element reveals just a black area with a white translucent frame and parallax correction marks. When it's mounted on the camera, the trick is to keep both eyes open, one eye looking into the viewfinder, and then our vision creates a set of brightlines that seem to float in mid-air. It's very fast and very clever. Both cameras have nice leather cases.</p>

<p>The Alsace is tidy, though it lacks a strip of leatherette down one side. However, I have some matching leatherette in my box of tricks, so I shall replace the missing panel and put the camera up for sale. The Vitessa is also very tidy, but it's of such quality that I'm considering having it professionally CLA'd. Sadly, the light meter no longer registers, though it could just be a connectivity issue; the lens is a little dusty but otherwise unblemished, and the shutter is sweet though the slow speeds are a little <em>too</em> slow. The viewfinder and rangefinder are bright and clear and appear to be accurate. Cosmetically, it's hard to fault, the only blemish being a tiny area on the base where the plating has bubbled. The doors are slow to pop open but they're improving with use.</p>

<p>Well, <strong>Q.G</strong>, I'm sorry I couldn't come up with something <em>really</em> untidy. These two are dull and dusty but after I've finished with them they'll really glow. I'd be interested to hear any opinions of, and experience with, the Vitessa.</p>

<p>Here is one of my latest purchases. It arrived a few days ago. I already own a <a href="00YB9g">Konica III</a>, so I thought I'd pick up a Konica I and a Konica II as well. Unfortunately I lost the auction for the II, but here is the I. This is a <a href="http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Konica_(I),_II_and_III">Type B</a>, made about 1948, with "Konishiroku" embossed on the back and "Made in Occupied Japan" on the bottom. It appears to be in very good shape; the rangefinder is clear and seems well-aligned, and the shutter seems reasonably accurate (the 1 sec. setting actually takes closer to 1.5 sec; without a shutter tester, I can't tell how accurate the fast speeds are). There will be a full post about this one if the roll of film I shot with it comes out well.</p><div>00amRM-494305684.jpg.6b497755ad00ea76a562833460442066.jpg</div>

<p>@ $50 a pop with an Ultron lens, <strong>Rick</strong>, I'd buy as many as I could get! If you ever tire of it send it over but, somehow, I doubt that will be the case. I'd love one myself being a fan of Voigtländers. My Bessamatic is one of my favourite cameras and really belies its age. The folding camera with high quality lens concept is one I find myself drawn to more and more as I dislike leaving the house without some sort of film camera on me. Even Tomosy praises the original Vitessa in his first repair volume--a man not given to waxing lyrical about many cameras at the best of times. Lovely photos accompanying the text, as always; thank you for all that!</p>

<p>Great series, <strong>Gene</strong>;at least your derelict buildings are more picturesque than ours. Beautiful little Konica, <strong>Craig</strong>, and I'll wager that the lens is sharp as a mother-in-law's tongue. If I find another Vitessa, <strong>Brett</strong>, I'll bear you in mind. This one is sorely in need of a CLA; I tried it out yesterday in some very overcast conditions and the shutter was rather hit or miss, which consequently produced winder issues. However, I retrieved a few frames, and I have to say the the Ultron is superb. I attach a couple of samples. Thanks to all for the responses; perhaps we should start a monthly "Acquisitions of the Month" thread ?</p><div>00amdv-494497584.jpg.0baa2ae7c47e264ffad149acfa6ad6a1.jpg</div>

<p>Wow Rick, a Vitessa for $50, lucky duck! I agree with Gene M's assessment of the Vitessa, a truly beautiful camera and the Ultron lens is one of the all time greats.<br>

You will find that it is equally at home with colour or B&W, waiting to see some shots with it.<br>

You Kiwis seem to have a stranglehold on cheap classic cameras, but don't worry, one day we will beat you at Rugby...one day...</p>

<p>The first and last time I saw a Vitessa in person was in sixth grade, circa 1978, when my homeroom teacher used to walk around with one attached to his belt and take candid available-light snapshots of his students. (The waist-level shooting position made the kids look taller than they really were. My parents still have the 5x7 enlargement he gave me.) I never knew what kind of camera it was at the time, only that it was a 35mm type (the negative was attached to the back of the print) and for years went around looking for a 35mm rangefinder with barn doors on the front, with no success. It was only a couple years ago that I finally saw a picture of one and said, That's it!</p>

<p>Wouldn't mind buying one, but all the examples I've seen are a bit pricey for my current financial situation. For $50 I'd probably have grabbed it too.</p>

<p>Great reminiscence, <strong>Shalom</strong>. Curiously enough, I have similar memories of being photographed by the teacher who supervised our school Camera Club, using a very small camera, much more impressive than my Ensign Ful-Vue. I always rememberd it was a Praktica, and several years down the track I bought one the same, a Praktica FX3. I now have a couple of nice specimens, and I still use them from time to time.</p>

I found a nice little Ricoh FF-1 on a country fair yesterday that comes close to the pristine looking cameras you tend to show, Rick.<br>I don't know if it works, and can't show how it looks, because someone who was with me wanted it more than me, and with the asking price as high as it already was (a full 2 euro), i was not going to bid it up to even more dizzying heights. ;-)<br>There also was an old Afga Click that was more like the cameras i tend to come across: cracked with bits missing. Beyond all hope. Ruined.