Best filter for Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD?

michael_mendoza1

<p>Which is the best filter to get for the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD? Which brand/type? Multi coated UV or clear? Mainly want one for protection but also want one that either improves the image quality (if possible) or at least does not reduce the image quality. Thanks!</p>

<h2> </h2>

<p>A filter to improve the quality of the lens does not exist; at best, they have no visible impact.<br>

For protection, consider to always use the sunshade (Tamron supplies those with all their lenses if I'm not mistaken). If you intend the lens in rather bad conditions, a good mult-coated UV filter to use cleaning of the lens can be useful, but it's by no means necessary.</p>

<p>If you poke around here enough, there is a large, and sometimes loud, debate on whether to use a "protective" filter or not. I've fallen to the "use the lens shade for protection" side of the debate. Any lens I have on, I have and use the proper lens shade.</p>

<p>With color film, it was said that using a "UV" or "Skylight" filter could help reduce haze in photos. It is also said that digital cameras don't benefit at all from "Skylight" filters, and very minimally from UV filters. Any glass added runs the risk of bringing unwanted reflections, and other detriments to the image quality. Many folks today prefer to let the light fall directly on the front element of the lens.</p>

<p>If you think you need a protective filter (perhaps you have small children who always seem to have something on their hands, and might come in contact with the camera), get a good quality multicoated filter.</p>

<p>There are also filters that are used for effects, and to manipulate the light in ways that cannot be easily (if at all) replicated in post processing.</p>

<ul>

<li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_%28Photography%29">Circular Polarizing Filter</a>: This filter is used for two reasons:</li>

<ul>

<li>to darken blue skies and bring out cloud detail</li>

<li>to reduce or eliminate reflections from surfaces such as glass or water. This part cannot be duplicated in post! With a CPL set properly, you can photograph fish in a pond, and not see the surface of the water. Or you can see the merchandise in a shop window instead of the buildings across the street. Post processing cannot put detail back that wasn't in the original capture!</li>

</ul>

<li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter">Neutral Density Filters</a>: These are used to reduce the amount of light coming into the lens. Now, you might think that the aperture and shutter speed can accomplish the same thing, but even they have limits. Anytime you see that smooth, almost fluffy look to water on a waterfall or at a shore, a neutral density filter was very likely used to achieve the long exposure time necessary to blur the water.</li>

<li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter">Graduated Neutral Density Filters</a>: These are like the ones above, but are darkened on only half. They are used in difficult exposure situations like landscapes or seascapes, where you would normally need one exposure for the land and a different exposure for the sky. Place the edge between dark and clear on whatever line is appropriate, and one exposure will work.</li>

<li>Special Effects: These filters are largely from pre-digital days where it was difficult to achieve the desired effect in post processing, so people came up with filters to do the job. Many of these things can now be done in post, so there is really little need for those. Star filters, shadow mask filters (these make a shaped "hole" through which the image would be captured, like a heart, or keyhole. Much better done in post these days), soft focus, multiple images, etc.</li>

</ul>

<p>Thank you Wouter and thanks Larry for taking the time to give a detailed response. I will be using it primarily to "protect" the lens since I have a 9 month and 2 year old sons who constantly poke at the lens. Plus I want to protect the main lens when shooting outdoors. So protection with the least amount of ruining image quality. So I'm contemplating these choices:<br>

- Hoya 62mm UV Multicoated Filter<br>

- Hoya 62mm UV(0) Super HMC Filter<br>

- Hoya 62mm DMC PRO1 Digital Multi-Coated UV Filter<br>

- B+W Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating<br>

Would any of these fit the bill and which would you rank as the best option? </p>