Easier to carry: Rolleiflex 3.5 or Rolleicord Vb

jeff_stone2

<p>Is the rolleicord significantly lighter and smaller than the Rolleiflex? Is one better suited for travel photography? In other words, does carrying the rolleiflex for longer periods of time become tiring? Which camera would you purchase and why? I've read everything I could but I can't come to a decision on which model to purchase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.</p>

<p>Jeff</p>

A gripe I had with the Rolleicord Vb that I just couldn't overlook was the lack of a film winding crank.<br>

I was also trying to decide between various TLR options, and have decided on a Rolleiflex 3.5F, which I intend to buy in the hopefully not too distant future.

<p>FWIW the weight differences between various TLRs I've used is negligible to me: Rolleicord or Rolleiflex or Yashica D didn't make much difference. The Mamiya TLRs are beasts though. With that said, I'd go with the Rolleiflex if you can afford it.<br>

Disclaimer: My usual camera is an RB67 ProS so pretty much anything else feels light after lugging that around.</p>

<p>Which 3.5? The MX-EVS (980g) is listed as 40 grams heavier than a 'Cord Vb (940g). A 3.5E (1120) at 180 grams heavier than a Vb.</p>

<p>I have just moved from a Rolleicord Va to a 3.5E (1) xenotar as my knapsack camera. A 2.8C xenotar remains my 'going out to photograph' main camera. I moved to the 'Flex for one main reason- the lens. A second reason is similar ergonomics, meaning less mental flip-flops moving from one camera to the other in making settings, shutter release, winding, etc.</p>

<p>When shooting, I usually carry the 'Cord or the 3.5E in one hand, using a short strap wrapped around my wrist as a safety strap. The weight difference is real. It would be great if the 'Flex weighed much less. But the reality is that I have yet to be carrying the 'Flex and have my wrist hurt, put the camera away out of exhaustion, etc.</p>

<p>At other times, the 'Cord or 'Flex is in a small padded bag either slung over my shoulder or in a knapsack. Again, yes, the weight difference can be recognized. But it isn't a large difference.</p>

<p>Maybe you have a medical condition or other reason where 200 grams of weight could make a real difference in usability and comfort. Short of that, I would make the decision based on the lens. The 'Cord's Xenar is an excellent lens. If I was using only Tessar-type lenses for my 6x6 shooting, the 'Cord would stay. But the difference from the Xenotar on the 2.8C and 3.5E is real to me, and I want more consistency in look whichever camera I have with me (I say this as a matter of taste and personal preference, not to claim that one is 'better' than than the other).</p>

<p>One thing the Vb and Va offer is the 16-frame 6x4.5 masking system. For a knapsack 'sketchbook' camera, I really liked that and miss it. As to loading film and winding, well, I am not in a war zone, am not covering news events. If the 'Cord is the right camera in other ways, get it, appreciate the lighter weight, and just bite your tongue for the fifteen seconds or so of extra winding and loading for every roll of film... which is what? 5? 10 rolls in a day? Didn't think so. </p>

<p>Since you mention the F: that meter bump is not insignificant in my opinion. It changes the type of bag it will fit in, etc. My E came with a meter and I yanked it out in the first five minutes.</p>

<p>Oh, size difference between a "cord and a 'Flex is minimal. Actually, the Va and Vb having the wind and focus knobs on separate sides makes the 'Cord seem a bit bumpier than the 'Flex. Don't ignore the plain V if weight and size are deciding factors.</p>

<p>Some people find the shutter release on the Cords a bit clumsy to operate. You have to slide it along the front of the camera. Then the shutter has to be cocked independent of winding the film. When the double exposure lock is switched off you are in for trouble. With the Flex this is unlikely to happen. The crank will wind and cock in one forward and backward swing and the double exposure lock can only be switched off for just one exposure at the time. The Flexes are safer to operate.<br>

Off course the Cords have the familiar rather basic film loading that was taken over by Hasselblad while the Flexes have the more sophisticated automatic advance to frame 1. (Just teasing Q.G.)<br>

Ferdi.</p>

<p>I've had a Rolleiflex 2.8C and Yashica 635 (which operates similarly to the Rolleicords). In terms of size and weight they're about equal.</p>

<p>The Rolleiflex is better suited to quick operation, for reasons other folks described here. That's a big advantage for candid photography.</p>

<p>TLRs that require separate motions for film advance, shutter cocking, etc., require a bit more effort and thought to minimize the risk of double exposures and blank frames.</p>

<p>Obviously both are good cameras. I can't imagine that the difference in weight between the two is significant. The difference you will find with this choice of camera is never having to carry a range of lenses to cater for different situations. I mostly use a Rolleicord Va for travel photography. It is very light and reliable and gives great results. To get the most out of the camera, however, I also carry a carbon fibre tripod and use a cable release. If you are looking to consistently maximise quality of the images the lens and your choice of film can produce, you will need to factor in the weight of a tripod ... but it is well worth it!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>For me it's worth it to spring for an Automat over a Cord. Weight difference is negligible.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />If it's negligible, what makes it worth it for you?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>TLRs that require separate motions for film advance, shutter cocking, etc., require a bit more effort and thought to minimize the risk of double exposures and blank frames.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apart from having it set to multiple exposure, neither should be more prone to double exposure or blank frames.</p>