Getting started in manual mode?

lynn_smith6

<p>Everyone uses (or not uses) manual mode for a different reason. I chose manual mode mainly because it is simplest, straight forward, and I have no need for any other modes. However, even manual mode can not be that simple that anybody can "suggest a good fstop and shutter speed" and if it is that simple, it would be very boring.</p>

<p>"and I would really like them to have that white tone to them".....</p>

<p>There's been a lot of advice here given (and a little debate) - all in all, most of the points are well taken. HOWEVER....</p>

<p>There is a danger that you are asking the wrong question by assuming that manual mode is the means to end of the image that you'd like to create.</p>

<p>Toning images is often done after the fact - using post processing techniques (Photoshop/Lightroom etc). A solid exposure is a necessary starting point - but depending on the quality of the final image you'd like to achieve, it may be impossible to achieve the results you want strictly "in camera". Or it may be possible. The point is, without actually having a sample of an image that's similar to the one you'd like to create, it's going to be hard for anyone to actually give you advice that will move you in the right direction.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Just like Bebu I started shooting in manual mode (with a film camera many years ago) and had to learn how to shoot with automatic modes with modern SLRs.<br>

I really enjoy dabbling in manual and will do that for indoor studio work and outdoor subjects that will not have sudden changes e.g. buildings. Manual focus on indoor studio work is also what I prefer to use. However, at home when the camera is not being used I make sure that it is always set to an automatic mode. I will also preset the ISO too to a (guessed) optimal level and set autofocus with a single point in the display. In this way when I see some of the abundant wildlife that we have around our home, I can grab the camera and just shoot, making sure my focusing point is on the critter before I take the shot.<br>

It is also interesting to compare shots taken with manual relative to the different automatic modes. This is really terrific for learning about how your camera performs and seeing what its limitations are.</p>