Achieving this style

<p>Good compositions, sharp, good lighting, muted colors. </p>

<p>Sharp: Use a tripod. Good lenses at fairly small apertures.</p>

<p>Good lighting: Not harsh, interiors could be windows, but not direct sun though the windows. Outside, avoid direct sun. But completely overcast is very flat. Something in between is often best. Early or late when sun is travelling through a lot of atmosphere to diffuse it some. Or anytime, when the sun is behind a large cloud that is thin enough to let some light through, like a giant soft-box. </p>

<p>Muted colors: Shoot old things that are faded or are from an era when things often were muted to start with. De-saturate slightly in post processing if necessary.</p>

<p>A further comment about what Matthew says about muted colors: lots of cameras these days (I think my Olympus EPL1 has one) have a "picture style" or "colors" mode that mimics the effects of old faded color film. Check your camera, Steve, and if it has such a setting give it a try.</p>

<p>Overall I see a tasteful homage to the traditional landscape painting styles of the 19th century, using a variety of looks. Some restrained use of a technique to improve dynamic range - possibly tone mapping or HDR (the latter if he's making multiple exposures), possibly working in layers to treat skies and foregrounds individually. With film, neutral and colored graduated density filters were used to get that look. I also see some emulation of bleach bypass for a slightly colder tone in some photos.</p>

<p> </p>