300mm AFS F/4 lens w / Nikon D800E, rotates a bit

tony_black1

<p>Hi there,<br>

I just got this Nikon 300mm AF S F/4 lens and start using it w my Nikon D800E. When I put the lens on the body, i have realized a small movement like (half a mm) from left to right or right to left. I mean when holding the body, the lens has a little rotation ( half a mm) to left or right, when i try to rotate. <br>

Is this normal??</p>

<p>Thanks very much.</p>

<p>Hi Tony,<br>

My Sigma 70-200 2.8 does this. No apparent detriment in operation for me. Have had it for several years. Big heavy glass can create alot of "leverage". I don't know if it is supposed to be this way, but it hasn't been enough of an issue to send it in.<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Both my 70-200 VR I (had) and II has the same small rotational slackness when mounted - the VR I being a little looser than the II. Never seemed to cause any problems, other than motivating me to double-check that the lens was fully mounted whenever I felt it. All my other lenses are rock solid.</p>

<p>C</p>

<p>That is completely normal. The locking pin on the camera mount is by design very slightly smaller in diameter than the width of the mating slot on the lens F-mount flange. As such, if you grip the lens you will be able to rotate it ever so slightly in the mount. It is just easier to notice the tolerance in the lock pin mechanism with larger lenses.</p>

<p>Nothing to fret about. :)</p>

<p>Tony, Michael already answered that: <em>It is just easier to notice the tolerance in the lock pin mechanism with larger lenses</em>. 35, 60 and 105mm lenses are not very large, as you'll know.<br>

My 300 f/4 does this too on my D300. It never caused any problem. It's the movements in the 300 f/4 tripod collar that do cause problems, but that's independent from the body it's mounted on.</p>

<p>I just rented a 300mm/F4.0 and it was a bit loose on the D700. With a TC 1.4 is was also a bit loose. It did not hurt a thing. After 3 months my D800 arrived and I used the 300mm/F4.0 on it as well. The lens was a bit loose on the D800 as well. Not a problem though.</p>

<p>I just wish that Nikon would hurry up and add VR to the lens so I can buy it. I have wanted this lens for decades, and after the rental, I really want it. :) The 300mm/F4 lens on a D800 with a TC make a pretty good combination for a walking around, hand holding bird/wildlife setup.</p>

<p>Later,<br>

Dan</p>

<p>hi,<br>

maybe its my ignorance, but everybody is saying this is ok and there is no problem,<br>

but if you look closely enough would this not create a small amount of aperture variation (and resulting exposure variation) since the aperture is controlled by a lever that is positioned correctly (or incorrectly) by the rotation on the mount?</p>

<p>I got the 70-200 VR II a couple of months ago and when I mounted it on the D700 this was one of the first things I did notice. I went back to the shop and I tried another copy on two other bodies and it was just the same thing.<br>

Using the lens afterwards I never noticed or suspected this could have any effect on exposure and even this is just a guess I would think the lens receives the aperture value indication via the electrical contacts and if this is the case there is no reason to such variation.</p>

<p>Three things can wear to cause that little bit of rotation, wear in the slot on the lens, wear on the edges of the pin that sit in the slot on the lens, and wear on the pin and the bore of the hole in the lens mount. The manufacturing tolerances and normal clearances between the pin, slot and bore also contributes.</p>

<p>Yes and the manufacturing tolerances and specs will/have to allow some clearance, or the pin will not easily enter or jam in the slot on the lens. Examine the end of the pin, the bore in the lens mount and the slot with a 10x loupe. If you see any visible distortion or dents, that will add to the problem. What's far worse is the pin not engaging the lens slot, and having the lens "walk out" on its own while carrying the camera.</p>

<p>There are variations in the other dimensions of the lens mount which end up requiring less or more force to rotate the lens to the home position. If it's a low force combination, the rotation is easily detected. A high force combination can actually make it difficult to rotate the lens enough so the pin engages. This was more common decades ago on aftermarket lenses, and still shows up today on well used equipment. </p>

<p>There has to be some clearance as the locking system won't work with zero clearances as the clearances are temperature sensitive due to the use of different materials.</p>

<p> </p>