1D X - Why all the delays?

yakim_peled1

<p>Folks please visit some Nikon forums. There are a raft of issues with the D800 and D4. From full-blown freezes to mediocre LV implementation. With some LCDs showing green cast. The D800 issues make the light leak of the 5d3 looks superficial in a kindergarten pettiness.<br>

Perhaps Canon wants to avoid those fiasco. </p>

<p>I'm not in the market for a 1Dx, but this is an interesting thread. Canon, it seems, is in trouble. I think even the most ardent fanboys will acknowledge this. As Bob stated earlier, if you want a pro-quality Canon body, you simply can't get one. That's unacceptable, and unbelievable! I shoot a 5D II, and while I have no plans to upgrade right now, I will eventually. And when I do, the siren call of those Nikon sensors may be too tempting. I don't have a ton of Canon glass, so the switch wouldn't be horrifically expensive. I will wait until after Photokina, though, to see if Canon has anything to preview, or announce, or actually deliver.</p>

<p>Or Nikon, for that matter. Or Sony...</p>

For what it's worth I read that Canon has a 35 megapixel sensor and also a 50 megapixel sensor. Other then that I have no idea why they can't make things happen and ship. Who wouldn't want a 50 megapixel camera?

For now I'll continue to use the 1ds Mk3. It's a fantastic camera and if Canon comes out with a 35 megapixel camera I may hold off a bit and see if that 50 will show up in a year or 2. For now, I will most likely buy a cheaper still/video camera and use the Mk3.

I've enlarged images to 40X60 with the Mk3. It's not as good as the Hassy film days, but it's close and no one will ever notice much of a difference or reject the image.

A few images have made it on covers of magazines. The one that paid the most for me was a pic of a wing on a jet shooting out very hot engine heated water to de-ice the jets wings. Needless to say, if anyone is using the 1Ds Mk3 knows this is a workhorse and it's fine for huge enlargements. However I'm looking forward to something fantastic from Canon to go into large format quality, not just medium format, which will meet a lot of pros satisfaction.

Since they said they have these sensors where are they?

<p>Canon have a 120MP APS-H sensor. They reported on it two years ago. (<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_150MP_apsh_sensor.html">Canon 120MP APS-H sensor</a>)</p>

<p>I'm not at all sure the significance of pixel count isn't way exaggerated. I've recently compared shots taken with the 35MP D800 and my old 13MP 5D and often there is surprisingly little difference (and that's using a tripod and good lenses stopped down a couple of stops from wide open).</p>

<p>Who wouldn't want a 50MP sensor? Quite a few people I suspect. It's like asking who wouldn't want a car that would do 200 mph. There's always a price you have to pay, and not only in $$$</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Who wouldn't want a 50 megapixel camera?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wouldn't. I don't print big and don't crop heavily. What benefit will I get from all those MP? Even the 18MP in my 7D are more than I need. </p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br /> Yakim.</p>

<p>A different slant on the matter, and a hypothesis...</p>

<p>I was told (yes, yes...I know...) that Canon have been blindsided by what is rumored to be the Nikon D600. Some in the drip feed of info feel that Nikon is going to push FX down into the sub-$2k market. That could force a realignment of pricing in the compact/DX/FX pricing spacing balance and the best indication of this are the specs on the D3200. If the <strong>cheapest</strong> Nikon DSLR is going to have a 24mb sensor, then are we seeing the start of this realignment and model consolidation?<br>

This could put Canon in a difficult situation as now the market is being educated into expecting FX to have a 36mb sensor and DX to have a 24mb sensor ENTRY point. It may also lend credibility to the story that Nikon doesn't really want to be stuck with producing two separate ranges of quality lenses in FX and DX. Its probably cheaper to migrate everyone who is in the D7000 and D300s market...$1300 to $2000, to FX. Perhaps the reality of the tsunami has forced this rationalisation on Nikon.<br>

So whither the 1Dx? Perhaps the success of the 5DIII and the D800 is forcing this issue. Perhaps what used to be the "flagship model" will no longer be the D4 or 1Dx...perhaps these will just occupy a "sports pro" niche with smaller sensors and faster operation. And what studio photographer needs a sports battery grip anyway? So this produces two ranges of FX cameras...Hi resolution for studio and landscape (D800 5DIII), and smaller sensor sports models (D4 and 1Dx). Makes sense as you can't make one model do both without too many compromises.<br>

<br />Who would want the job of camera marketing in Tokyo at the present, eh?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Who would want the job of camera marketing in Tokyo at the present, eh?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Me. I'll start by asking customers what they really want and then unleash the engineers to exploit their full capability. </p>

<p>One may dream, no?</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br /> Yakim.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>And what studio photographer needs a sports battery grip anyway?</em></p>

<p>Try shooting a whole day of portrait subjects, 8-12 hours with a 70-200/2.8, and a camera without vertical grip. It's extremely un-ergonomic to hold the camera in this way, with your right hand above the camera and in front of your forehead, with any kind of heavy camera rig. In fact I wouldn't want to hand-hold any telephoto lens longer than about 85mm without the grip. And I never liked any of the add-on grips frankly, but I guess I'll have to get used to them if I want a modern high resolution camera. I by far prefer the handling and operational symmetry of the full size bodies. I dislike the camera deciding for me which I am to prefer, a portrait or landscape orientation image.</p>

<p>The D800, much as it is glorified, is reported by many to have very short battery life compared to its effective predecessor, the D3X. Which do you prefer, if you are a landscape photographer, to carry one camera and one battery to the wilderness in -25C, or one camera and ten batteries and keep switching them? IMO while it seems to have been a clever way to expand the full-frame market, there is much that were not really thought out through in the D800 (if it remains the only high resolution option, with no D4X coming).</p>

<p><em>I'm not at all sure the significance of pixel count isn't way exaggerated. I've recently compared shots taken with the 35MP D800 and my old 13MP 5D and often there is surprisingly little difference (and that's using a tripod and good lenses stopped down a couple of stops from wide open).</em><br /> <br /> I don't agree from the technical perspective. Even my 24MP camera shows far superior detail rendition to my 12MP model at or near base ISO. I wonder which lenses you used and which apertures and distance to subject. Also, the D800's base ISO DR advantage is in part thanks to its high pixel count. The electronics reading an individual pixel limit the picture quality less when you have a great many pixels.</p>

<p>However, I still happily use my 12MP camera from time to time and when post-processing the images I feel like I am flying, it's so much lighter.</p>

<p>In those tests I was using a D800 with the Nikon 24-70/2.8 at f5.6 and the EOS 5D with the new Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC at f5.6, looking at the center of the image in each case. ISO was low (probbaly 100, maybe 200). Distance was effectively infinity (maybe 400 yards?). Yes, the D800 image was probably fractionally better but the difference was surprisingly small.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don't have any lenses that I can mount on both my EOS and on the Nikon. I only have adapters for EOS to use older Tamron and Pentax lenses. I don't shoot Nikon, this is just a loaner.</p>

<p>I suspect I'd see a larger difference if I was shooting test targets in my basement at ISO 100 with the cameras on my heavy tripod, mirrors locked up and using magnified Live View focusing. I'll be doing those tests later...</p>

<p>It seems that some of people that will actually buy the camera in numbers have been using them for a while, actual working p<a href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/uefa_euro_2012_blog_1.do">ro sports shooters</a>, from <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11678-12690">various agencies.</a> There are hundreds of commercially available images that have been <a href="http://www.gettyimages.ca/Search/Search.aspx?query=z.i.H4sIAAAAAAAEAOy9B2AcSZYlJi9tynt_SvVK1-B0oQiAYBMk2JBAEOzBiM3mkuwdaUcjKasqgcplVmVdZhZAzO2dvPfee--999577733ujudTif33_8_XGZkAWz2zkrayZ4hgKrIHz9-fB8_In7dfLn91et79-79Hr_WNPt1zxbZRf5r_hq_xq_xmP6fTMviMk_rqsl_zRE-lOfX_vL83P4ReUzLXzOpq6p9mdXZovm19bNfC__f3cGvv5lp_7vjn9-Y_v_rvXt93Zy-MzB-Te9vfjez3f6a-jvA_drZ-dQiZ_7A_9Hnr7nDPS5a9-ai_bX099_i17DI8K_3-ddfh0CUtrn9C9B-XfqjXtjOwj9_fTTfxV-_Hn8-sTA6f_Nr5yEU-ydD2bFQzjtQ3N_8Wh1CsX8ylD0Lpe5AcX8TvXLz0q-JP8xEMfF28dtvaNpiipjiRJN8ZT79NYO_fu180thvzB88BbnDwfv918pdc-_3X7tZrezn-MPg-FvZFy-n7kX3-69T1R4D2b_4q0nuf2X-wvNrz66W5vdf0_zx6-D_zdobT_DXr51nDgP_D_p95X9h__h1mwBa-Oev_e7ZczcR9If9Iqs93Lw_fqNmWq3yJ-vlrPSIGHxqAP444DzYuY_ffx3iobVtHvz168xr-UMohL8MhI8BYW_vIX4nNnHi5P_x673Ir_Km_X8CAAD__2Ivpt5SBAAA&rid=144556654&rcat=Event&rt=NLD%3a+2012+European+Synchronised+Swimming+Championships">shot with the 1DX</a> that you can buy.</p>

<p>There is even <a href="http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml">copious literature on AF setup available </a>along with the <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_1d_x#BrochuresAndManuals">handbook and quick setup guides</a>, why would that be there unless there was a sizable audience for the information?</p>