Best 35mm Rangefinder for infrared

troyammons

<p>Used to have a Canonet ql17 and it was nice but as I remember only had 1/4 sec long exposure.<br>

Been a while so I am sort of out of the loop with manual 35mm rangefinders.</p>

<p>So what I am looking for is something that I can shoot in manual mode that had the right lens settings for IR focus shift, long exposure, manual speed and aperture, preferably a 35mm or under sharp lens, at least 1 second long exposure, threaded lens for filter, and anything else you can think of.</p>

<p>My previous favorite IR camera was a older fuji 690 with a 65mm lens, but I am out of medium format<br>

and only interested in 35mm for now.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>Konica Auto S2</strong></p>

<p>manual control ... check<br>

max set time 1 second ... check<br>

IR mark for focus ... check<br>

filter thread, 55mm ... check<br>

legendary sharp lens ... check<br>

(commonly called the poor man's Leica for a reason)<br>

35mm or wider ... <strong>buzzzzzzzz</strong><br>

45mm F1.8 lens ... oh well, live with it ... :o)<br>

routine Ebay price $10 - $50.</p>

<p>(Often the shutter or aperture blades are sticky & need to be cleaned, a really simple thing for those who do this. Spanner, dexterity and Q-tips with Ronsonal (I prefer & use lab grade methanol, dries faster) and within a few tens of minutes you are in business.)</p>

<p>No self-respecting person would fail to get this camera. LOL<br>

I enjoy the heck out of this camera, it is one of my real fav 70's rangefinders on a budget.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would prefer not to B.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah, that is the question. Whether 'tis better to B or not to B?<br /> What you need is a nice Exakta VX or so. I think just about the slowest slow speeds around (1/5 to 6 full seconds), but of course it's no rangefinder.</p>

<p>There <em>were</em> add-on, screw into the trigger, timers in the old days that would go very long indeed and would work on most shutter triggers that had the screw in extension mount. Some interval timers could also be used for long exposures.</p>

JDM - Last time I used an Exacta for IR ( Konica) it started to rain, but I only noticed when the WLF began to fill up with water..... I'll see if

I can find one of the images later.

Although it would be used on B I liked using a Rollei TLR with a Cokin adaptor to hold the filter - you can still compose and shoot without

having to mess with putting filters on and off.

<p>if moden RF camera Cosina should be .Which using Lecia M mount lens and superb voigtlander lens.<br>

if Cheap Chinese 205 should be,even discontinued near era. Since Mass production which easy found a good condition in secound hand market.<br>

Vivitar 35ES which OEM Cosina in 70's</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Any 1960s to 1990s RF or scale focus cameras, preferably with a relatively simple 4 element Tessar type lens (better corrected for IR radiation than more complex and zoom type optics), an IR index on the DOF scale, screw in filter capability of the lens mount, and a metal body to avoid possible fogging. </p>

<p>I ended up tricking out a Contax TVS II to work fir IR and so far it looks like it will work fine.<br>

Very sharp lens, tiny, and a good normal pocket camera.<br>

I have tested it with 80S at iso 3 and that works but Ir820 needs more like iso 1.5.<br>

Have yet to try that film but I think it will work.</p>

<p> </p>