Best Day Hike Backpack?

lisa_bree

<p>I've read and read threads here and elsewhere but feel this issue has not been resolved. <br>

If you go on long hikes, somewhat strenuous, and need plenty of water, two fleece layers, gloves, etc...<br>

And you also go on shorter strolls - 8 miles or so, say on the beach, and you'll take your kindle and maybe an iPad, lots of water...<br>

What is the best solution for carrying reasonable camera gear, i.e. one body, maybe two lenses?<br>

I have a thinktank holster which is great but too large for my osprey talon 22, which I otherwise love. <br>

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/multi-use/talon_22</p>

<p>It not just the size, I have larger packs, but I'm tired of the disorganization of it all, and having to stop, take out camera, etc. I'd like a more organized pack - but one which is suitable for hiking.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have you thought about the backpack attachment accessory for the Thinktank holster? It attaches the holster to the backpack harness in front, so that the holster hangs between the belt and the sternum strap. It's a compromise, yes, but at least the camera is accessible without having to dig it out of your pack.</p>

<p>As for the pack itself, I like internal frame top loaders with a compartment in the lid, and side pockets. But the main concern should be how this thing is going to feel, five or six miles down the trail...</p>

<p>Most of my hikes are day excursions and I use a smallish Lowe Pro SlingShot 200AW (AW=all weather). Holds a body and a few lenses and some accessories. A Canon 7D with an EF 70-200m F/4 IS zoom on (hood reversed) fits (snugly), a wide and normal prime, accessories -a few grads, polarizers, extra batts/cards, a thin rain shell, and a lunch. It is fairly comfortable but quick to access the pack innards while wearing it. I clip a water bottle to the outside. If rain starts the bag has it's own rip stop nylon shell built in. I've done some light scrambling with it on and it's quite secure when all straps are engaged. </p>

<p>I wish I could find the same thing. It is tough because a proper day pack doesn't do camera gear well and a camera pack doesn't really pack well for water and cloths and snacks. What I have tried is two things.</p>

<p>1) A nice day back with</p>

<p>2) A hip pack for the camera gear. </p>

<p>On the long parts of my walks, the hip pack fits in the day pack, which does limit the capacity of the other stuff, and when I get to the places I want to be, the hip pack gets slung on my waist, in the front, so I can get my camera stuff. I have a simple no frame day pack from REI. </p>

<p>With my F4s the waist bags than the big SLR would fit into was limited and the waist pack was rather large. I could keep a lot in it, but to keep it from pulling away from my body too much, I had to add a set of shoulder straps. These plus the day pack straps would get tangled with each other if I forgot which one I put on last. Once I got the smaller battery holder on the camera, which made it a simpler Nikon F4, I could look for smaller waist packs. I then got a D7000 that is even smaller and I had more choices. </p>

<p>I wanted to try out the Think Tank Speed Demon, but they raised the price of the new version. I ended up getting a Clik Elite Trekker: http://www.clikelite.com/products/trekker/</p>

<p>As long as the two lenses I bring are not large, this one works for me. It fits in the day pack easily and is small enough to NOT need shoulder straps to stay close to my back or front. </p>

<p> </p>

I recently bought a Lowepro Photosport 200, which I really like. It's basically a day pack with a small externally accessible

camera compartment in the bottom. I use it for day hikes and for flying (where I don't want to put my camera gear in

checked baggage). It's not very big, but it is large enough for a dslr body and a lens or flash, holds an iPad, a small

jacket or fleece plus another layer or so, snacks, assorted other items. Fits under the seat of even small prop commuters.

Has a compartment for a hydration bladder, which I haven't tried out yet.

Downsides include the small size (although this is a plus in the sense that it keeps pack weight down and is conducive to

folks who use it for adventure sports), thinly padded straps and not enough small pockets/compartments to subdivide and

organize small items/gear.

I would definitely check it out in a store if you can, it may be too small for you but I find that it's just the right size for my

activities.

<p>My solution is the same as John Williamson's. Hip pack for the camera stuff, day backpack for the other stuff.</p>

<p>Although I rarely see people use them, hip/waist packs are great. The weight on your hips is less tiring than your back. You can slide the pack around to the front and access you camera without taking it off. You can change lenses standing up (without putting anything down). In my film days, I could even thread film standing up.</p>

<p>Once I rigged up a tripod attachment system using shock cord and a web belt w/buckle for easy detachment, this Tamrac Adventure 7 day pack has served well. A tight fit for my photo gear ( I wish the pack had and extra inch or more in width and depth), but it holds a nylon rain jacket, lunch, and water for a day's hiking. Stows easily under airline seats with the tripod removed.</p><div>00aacL-480499584.jpg.2e1c9df23a2457f6e5942882f990fc4d.jpg</div>

<p>The Lowepro site has a nice feature where you can pick a pack that suits your gear - but it doesn't tell you about other stuff. I'll get one of them, I think. Today was another example of the problem: went to beach ---> ended up slogging several miles across the sand ---> saw tons of seals and *beautiful* skies, partly cloudy, lots of interesting colours...but had neither binoculars nor a camera. I need a pack that's always ready to go.</p>

• 2 months later...

I was happy with my purchase. The main non photo compartment is very small, though. I ended up filling it with a kindle and several

500ml water bottles. You can put a 3 liter water Reservoir in the back though I didn't try that. There are a few nice little pockets, two

zippered, where you can put sunscreen or glasses. There's not a ton of room, so you can't really take a layer unless you tie it to the

outside. The one side pocket is on the small side. You can stick a 500ml water bottle in there, that's it.

The camera area itself is good I think for one extra lens, not sure about two, since I didn't try. It feels snug and secure.

Very pleased with the quality of the bag.

<p>That's a nice looking bag! Is that upper zippered compartment all for just regular stuff? Looks like a decent size. My problem with a lot of backpacks is that I'm 6'-3", so the hip belt is often of little use, which is why I'm now in love with slings. I'll have to see if I can find this one locally to try out.</p>

<p>There's a little zippered compartment on top for sunscreen and say, hand lotion. The the compartment beneath it is for 'other stuff', i.e. small water bottles and a kindle, a few energy bars. There's a little side zipper where you can put eyeglasses for example, just barely but you can. As I described above it's all pretty small but workeable for a summer day. I thought the bag was very well constructed. I didn't really hike with it, just long walks on the beach, several miles, and I can't remember if I used the hip belt.</p>