What is your essential Nikon lens?

daniel_johnson6

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm there with Ilkka, 85 1.4. On d700 the images are amazing and it gives me a low light capability I have wanted for years and a bokek like butter if I wish. It rarely goes above f/4. Faster than a 105 or 135, reasonable compression, reasonable weight. If my back is to the wall, literally, I'll switch to a 50 1.4 sigma. I dont have a 105 or 135 dc but if Nikon would update those???? </p>

<p>For my manual focus camera's: the 50/2.0 <br />I love the build and the recessed front element (protection, flare) for street and travel shooting<br>

For my autofocus camera's: 50/1.4D.<br /> I love the handling (small, light, quick focussing) and the look of the images (including the vignetting) shooting near wide open<br>

Surprised to see so few votes for the good ol' 50mm's... for me they're really versatile and easy to previsualize a scene because of the normal perspective...</p>

<p>Fun to see all the great responses! Overall, the shorter lenses seem to be winning over the longer ones. There have just been so many wonderful Nikon lenses over the years, it's fun to see which ones people really like.</p>

<p>WHAT?!?!?! No votes for the 800mm 5.6?!?!? :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a Nikon N90s Film Camera with a Nikon 85mm f1.8 lens and I love both of them. This is the combination I would use for the remainder of my life if that were the case. The experiment I currently am participating in is using this combination for the next 12 months and see what changes take place from the beginning photos to those at the end of the year. Wish me luck.</p><div>00acnN-482877584.thumb.jpg.40bf9fa7af774c642016771129f6393a.jpg</div>

<p>If I only got to keep one lens....<br>

Zoom or not - - <br>

Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 AF<br>

But if not a zoom<br>

My old Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 - - got to love that lens. I have too much fun with it shooting Macros etc. <br>

But I would have a hard time giving up my 24-70mm f/2.8, my 300mm f/4 & my 14-24mm f/2.8</p>

<p>Sorry - one lens is too hard, but it would be the Sigmonster ;-)</p>