APS and the enthusiast: What is the future?

<p>APS was Kodaks last attempt in releasing an oddball new format. ie the razor blade model</p>

<p>What did it offer? A processor had to buy a special attachment to process APS. The user had to pay the same or 20 to 35 percent more in processing fees.</p>

<p>If your local lab did not pass on these costs then you say that nobody paid more to process APS films. If your lab charged more then the end user often went back to 35mm, ie bigger negative, better quality , lower processing cost.</p>

<p>At local Walmarts in the South later one APS became that bag service film, With 35mm one could once get 1 hour service and APS was sent away.<br>

APS does have some cool tiny cameras. They were once common in one shot cameras too.<br>

Kodak pushed APS while Casio pushed its VGA digital camera that I bought in the mid 1990's As a Kodak guru said to me at a trade show APS offers a way to store negatives and has a contact sheet, Thcasioe VGA casio was poo pooed as a fad. I got it for early BBS and website work. That same casio VGA was used on early Ebay auctions to sell Russian cameras</p>

<p>APS is like old 828. It came out to get folks on a non generic film format. </p>

<p>Kodak is in bankruptcy. I cannot imagine any buyer of the film division would want to bring back APS films, </p>

<p>Thank you for the information re APS film, mshobbies. I will have a look at your site. I have felt that people on ebay are asking a fortune for even single rolls of APS film. As for the derogatory comments about APS cameras and film, it is as though others think we are trying to convert everyone to the format, and asking them to ditch digital, and all other film formats. How mistaken can they be. Here in the UK we have a columnist in a photo mag who writes once every month about the quirky and unusual cameras he has bought. 127 film/110 film, etc., etc.,and even what he classes as toy cameras.<br>

My first hands on with an APS camera was when a friend traded in a Nikon 35mm for a Minolta Vectis S1. 'Too small for me and my hands,' I thought, but when I saw the photos results they were good. As I mention previously in here they are a good handy 'carry about'camera, and the lenses are good.</p>

<p>I never saw the point. I can barley tell what's going on in a 35mm neg, much less something smaller. APS was much smaller. The link below is a good site for comparisons. It's important to remember that the APS shooter had miserably small choices for film types. In some ways, it seems it was a system that was designed to fail.<br>

<br /> http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~jwfoltz/Courses/WFB493PH/subjects/aps/apsvs35.htm</p>

• 10 months later...