Venus transit

<p>i have to clarify here:<br>

the lens was a 300mm f/4 plus two 2x units and three 1.4x units stacked together. the aperture was set on the lens as 18. ND16 was 2 ND8 stacked together. I can take the photo but the quality actually left much more to desire.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Tak</p>

<p>Wow, a net focal length of 3360 mm! That comes under the heading "heroic teleconverterism". Well done.</p>

<p>I had my telescope rig ready to go, to catch the last half hour or so of the transit after sunrise here, but alas the clouds refused to cooperate and I saw nothing.</p>

<p>Wow Tak! That's quite a stack! How did you hold the whole thing stable?<br>

btw - I did some tests and found that two 1.4x's was a little bit better than one 2x but I also found a fair bit of variation in the 2x's. Recently I picked up a 2x that was very good.... </p>

<p>Dear friends, thank you all for your kind words. it has been fortunate for me to get the cooperation of the clouds here. it is usually difficult as it is the monsoon season here. right now at the moment it is lightning and heavy rain outside my window. the story started 2 years ago when there was a great solar eclipse i wanted to take photo of. but with all the stacking it was still too bright. so i spent a whole month and several rolls of films with trial and error to get the perfect exposure value for the sun. the final 2 ND8 filters were the most difficult to acquire. 95mm filters are basically non-existing. finally i ordered a custom made 95mm to 85mm stepdown ring and bought a 85mm to 72mm stepdown ring from a camera flea market. the filters were of 72mm. then i waited for the next solar event. the next eclipse occurred behind clouds. this one was perfect. as for support, frictional heads cannot do the job as the camera invariably sags a bit once you tighten the knobs. and in a fraction of a second the sun also drifts away from the field. gear head is the only solution. i use manfrotto neotec pro tripod and a 400 gear head. Cheers, Tak</p>