Hasselblad 501C is frozen

paul_brenner1

<p>I'm afraid I can guess the answer, but I will ask anyway...<br>

<br />I've had a 501C for a number of years. I took it out today and found it frozen:</p>

<ul>

<li>Back won't release</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Shutter won't fire</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Lens won't release</li>

</ul>

<p>I vaguely remember that the little round windows on the back and body have to be identical, but this seems to be more serious...<br>

<br />Is there anything I should try, or do I need to have the camera serviced?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p>How about some basics, like...</p>

<p>Is the darkslide inserted or not? If so, fully or partially?<br>

Is the lens properly seated (correct rotational position)?<br>

Is the mirror up or down? What about the shutter curtains?<br>

What are the red/white flags showing?</p>

<p>We really can't diagnose incomplete information.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

Try the prerelease button on the side.<br>Could be that it somehow partially released, and perhaps prodding the mechanism using the prerelease will help.<br><br>Also try to find something as stiff, thin and long asthe slide, but not as high. Slide that into the slide slot, aiming for the upper opposite corner to lift the catch, allowing you to take the magazine off (you're aiming for the bent-down corner of the part marked "C" in the second picture of the "Instructions" section on <a href="http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTSeal.aspx">this page</a> You need to lift it to allow the magazine release catch to slide far enough to be able to take the magazine off).

<p>I gently shook the camera, removed slide and shoved it back in, back came off, as did the lens. Then I stupidly tried to remount the lens before insuring that everything was set and aligned, now lens won't come off, shutter won't fire. I guess I need to do what I should have done, leave well enough alone and take/send to a Hasselblad servicer unless someone has a miracle suggestion...<br>

<br />Paul</p>