Sony NEX vs Canon G9

<p>Looking to replace my ageing Powershot G9 with an interchangeable lens camera that is still small enough to carry with me on a daily basis.<br>

<br />I'm considering the Sony NEX F3 and 5N series; though leaning more towards the 3 because it doesn't have a touchscreen. The 7 is too expensive - I may as well buy into SLR territory at that price and it makes more sense to spend more on lenses than a body.<br>

<br />I shoot my G9 mostly in manual mode - IM pretty adapt at getting the settings I want using the histogram, and I also have the two custom modes set for C 1) B&W street shots and C 2) portrait headshots. I work mostly in good light for travel and street photography as well as the obligatory party shots. I love the sharp- image stabilised images it produces.</p>

<p>Thoughts, comments are most welcome</p>

<p>Rahi</p>

<p>Rahi,<br>

I had a G 9 until it just quit on me. Replaced it with the Sony NEX 7. Now I wish the G 9 had quit earlier on me. The NEX technology blows me away. It is the future. It is the first camera where I have ever used all the special features and settings. They actually work and you can see the differences. Another great feature is I bought the adapter so I can use all of my good Nikon glass with it. I don't know about the NEX 3 or 5 but my recommendation is to save your pennies and go for the 7. It is a winner.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>It is hard without knowing your budget and the price of things in your market. I would think the intermediate stage of M4/3 probably provides the answer for you with an Olympus E-PL? [new or 2/h] and either the kit lens 14-42 [gives 28-84AoV] or a prime. But you loose the viewfinder of the G9 unless you get the rather expensive clip on viewfinders. </p>

<p>Replaced a G9, which I never took seriously, with a Nex 5n that is something a use a lot now. I prefer to use it with manual focus Leica glass and use the external EVF - I actually prefer the 5n to the 7 primarily because of the articulating ability of the external EVF plus it handles wide lenses better. I use it to primarily shoot street but would never use the cameras own B&W conversions as much better can be achieved in post software - All Nex 5n shots:<br>

Flickr Search

<p>@David I have used the G9's viewfinder probably 10 times in all the years I have owned it. I live in the Middle East and bright sunlight has never been a problem when it comes to using the LCD to compose.<br>

<br />@JC Uknz I'm prepared to spend $1000 which would secure me either a NEX 3K + 18-55 ($750) or a 5ND + 2 kit lenses ($1000).<br>

<br />In the long run I may invest in an adaptor and a nice MF prime or two.<br>

<br />@Marc noted. I plan to carry it with me in my messenger-style bag alongside my Galaxy and a bottle of water, etc.</p>

<p>Rahi, I have the 5n and the EVF, which I find invaluable, but the camera is indeed smaller and more handy without it, and I do in fact remove it when putting the camera in any kind of bag, but that is only once every few weeks. (I normally carry on my neck or arm with EVF.) If you don't even need an optical finder or EVF, then the only other main thing to consider carefully is what lenses you will use. Small size and image quality is of the most importance to me. I don't care for big zooms, but you might like the flexibility of them, but they are rather slow and large. I am mainly using a Voigtlander 15 f4.5 with adapter and an inexpensive but surprisingly good Sigma 30 2.8 EX DN. I also use Nikon and Leica lenses with adapters. My point is that the lens size, speed, and optical quality are huge factors in the overall experience of use as well as image results. Also, you will not have image stabilization except with the few Sony lenses that are out there. More lenses are coming from Sony and other companies, but I would recommend you really study what is there now so you have a plan when you buy the camera.<br>

I have no regrets, but i wish I had a NEX 7 also, but the 5n does have its benefits. There is nothing about the F3 that would make me want it over my 5n. Regarding the touchscreen on the 5n, I am very much an old-school shooter and would never have thought I would like it, but it works very well, particularly for changing focus point during video shooting. It is also faster to navigate the menus with the touch screen because instead of using a button to click, click, click until you get to the icon you want and then press "select", you just touch the icon on screen in one step. It does end up with finger prints all over it, but I think that is going to happen anyway (plus I use the EVF so it doesn't really matter.)</p>

<p>I have an NEX 5 and a 5N. I don't use the touch screen at all (5 doesn't have TS). I love the cameras. Even with the kit lens, 18-55 (Kind of ngaaa lens), I sometimes put it in my coat jacket. If I have the 16mm pancake, I can probably put it in my shirt pocket.<br>

Whichever you decide. Any APS-C sensor mirrorless cameras are all good any way.</p>

<p>I'm a Nikon user and I approved this message, :) </p>