Leica M Monochrom, Leica M 50mm APO Summicron ASPH, Leica M Hermes Limited Edition

<p>I've been invited to the launch of the Leica M Monochorm and the Leica M 50mm APO Summicron ASPH by the Sydney Leica Store, FotoRiesel.<br>

I wanted to share some insights of a fantastic event and especially a particular guest: Seal.<br>

Check this out:<br>

<a href="http://www.australian-photo.com/the-voice-the-image-the-leica-monochrom/">http://www.australian-photo.com/the-voice-the-image-the-leica-monochrom/</a></p>

<p>I take it you're name is Thierry?<br /> Thanks for sharing an event that many of us would have loved to have also experienced.<br /> Except for the orange Leica, <strong>very classy...</strong></p>

<p>Now please don't take this in the wrong way, but allow me to take the chance at critiquing what I noticed in many of the images from the web page link.<br /> <br /> It seems many photos were shot as you just finished focusing. Try instead to get into the <strong>quick habit</strong> of recomposing for looking room and subject body. Too many shots are needlessly centered, showing instead ceiling or overhead artifacts that don't contribute to the simplicity of the subject matter. Maybe some re-cropping in post processing can salvage these framing/composing flaws.</p>

<p>In any case, thanks again for sharing this memorable event.</p>

<p>I also wondered about the yellow Leica, who are they aiming this new product? Given the prices I can see that perhaps Leica is trying to appeal to the young & beautiful crowd, whatever that they do to survive in this day and age is understandable.<br>

I am still puzzled by the new 50 Summicron, the only way to see a difference between the new and the old is to mount them on a hefty tripod and do some careful evaluation, but the strength of Leica is in hand held people photography and I seriously doubt that the old Summicon would disappoint anyone. </p>

<p><em>The highlight of the Leica M9-P “Edition Hermès” is the “Veau Swift” calfskin leather in “ocre,” supplied by Hermès for the leathering of the silver-chromed version of the Leica M9-P camera.</em> <br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>:>)</em> <br /></p>

<p>Hi Terry,<br>

Thanks for the link and the array of photographs. I didn't realise that the 90's popstar Seal was so involved with promoting Leica. I knew of his enthusiasm for the brand but it seems Leica use him as a promoter as well?<br>

I quite like the yellow body! Then again, I am too openminded and poor to truly appreciate Leica.</p>

Thanks Thierry. What an amazing event. And you're there because you've been shooting Leica M for a year? And Seal

came all the way to Sydney for this? See, we don't do too badly down here in Australia. I suppose Melbourne won't be

getting any Leica gig like this. You know Seal was at the world-wide launch of the M9. He really likes Leicas.

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1899361">Gus Lazzari</a><br>

Thank you for your comments. I'll take them in account for my photography.<br>

I actually took those photos in 'prefocusing' mode as I was recording video with my iPhone at the same time. I'll post the video up soon :o)</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=7120600">Vahe Sahakian,</a><br>

There is a french saying: "Quand on aime, on ne compte pas" .. But I do agree with you that these are in no way <em>better</em> image making boxes than the Leica M9 because they share the same <em>internals</em>..</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2403095">Starvy Goodfellows</a>,<br>

Thank you for your comments. Seal is Leica Ambassador so I guess he is paid by Leica to promote their products.. But wait till I post the video because Seal did "bash" Leica a fair bit ..</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=607210">Richard G</a><br>

Thank you for your comments. I only use the M9 for more than a year but am very familiar with the Leica equipments, especially back to the day when my father used a Leica M2.<br>

Seal is actually one of the judges of the show The Voice, a reality talents show in Australia, so I guess it was practical to have him stopping by.<br>

I was however amazed by how down to earth <em>Leica people</em> were.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=198003">David W. Griffin</a><br>

I think there is a reason why Leica is what it is and I hope Leica will retain this tradition for many years to come. Like it or not, one can not be indifferent to Leica.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=591009">Stephen Ascherl</a>, Jun 10, 2012; 10:58 p.m... Gee whiz...and to think that I thought Leica were gadgets designed to take photographs, and seals were something one saw at the zoo eating fish!...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you for your comments <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=591009" rel="nofollow">Stephen Ascherl</a>. This gives us a clear insight of your photography skills and knowledge of the world around it.</p>

<p>I don't think Leica quality would be lost if they provided an upgrade path so that a camera could be purchased at a high price but upgraded over the years to remain technologically viable.</p>

<p>Would Leica's essential qualities be lost if there was a Leica CL in the line (or a Canon 5D or 7D)? I don't think it would, it wasn't before. The super collectors wouldn't be interested, but anyone who actually uses Leicas to take pictures would be attracted to the CL mk II as a second body and many who would aspire to Leica would have an entry that wouldn't require selling their car.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if the CL mk II (were it ever produced and it probably never will be) would look radical and advanced like the Sony NEX-7, or more minimal like the original CL, but I'd love it to happen. I actually own a CL and I've taken many good pictures with it. It's not as rugged as my M2 was, but it was still a heck of a little camera. Wouldn't it just be a trip if it resembled as much as possible a Leica IIIg?</p>

<p>"I don't think Leica quality would be lost if they provided an upgrade path so that a camera could be purchased at a high price but upgraded over the years to remain technologically viable."</p>

<p>Leica fired the last guy who suggested that:<br>

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-84204.html<br>

It's an attractive idea to the purchaser, and would have been a return to Leitz's own policy in the LTM era, but it's more profitable to sell you a complete new camera every few years...</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>It took a bit of time to find a site to host a big video but finally it's here.<br>

Why is Leica what it is and why do people use it?<br>

Hear it form Leica's own ambassador... It's not what you expect. Flick the full screen button.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.australian-photo.com/leica-m-monochrom-the-video/">http://www.australian-photo.com/leica-m-monochrom-the-video/</a></p>