Rollei TLR shutter issue

cole_paquette

<p>Okay, I have a Rolleimagic II TLR that I have been using. It works fine on most settings, but if the shutter is set at 1/60 or below, the shutter locks open and stays open until the handle is turned to advance to the next frame. The rest of the shutter speeds work fine.<br>

When I first got it, the speeds didn't sound completely accurate, so I ran it dry for the equivalent of at least 5 rolls of film, and the high speeds now sound spot-on.<br>

Would exercising the camera more fix the problem? Or does this require a professional repair job?<br>

I also found a place selling new selenium cells, so if it requires a repair, I was thinking of ordering one, so what repair place would also be willing to drop in a new cell?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Find someone who is familar with Rollei TLR's and send it for service. Older Rollei's sometimes stop working with slow shutter settings. It's a common issue and an experienced Rollei repair service should know how to fix it with a basic shutter service. You may find that the shutter will eventually locks at all speeds. I think it has something to do with lubrication.</p>

<p>It may be dried lubricants, or it may be a shutter mainspring that has fatigued.<br>

Clarence Gass, of Mission KS replaced the mainspring on my Rolleiflex 3.5F. He had to get the spring from a source in Germany.<br>

<br />As long as you have the replacement photocell, he could install it for you also.</p>

<p>"Exercising" a shutter only works (to a certain extend) while the shutter is still running (slowly). The slow speeds use an additional clockwork and it looks like this clockwork is not running at all. In that case you cannot "exercise" it. The faster speeds may be fine because they do not use that clockwork. The shutter needs cleaning.</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

Shutters such as the Synchro Compur use a booster spring only to achieve the highest shutter speed (1/500). Without the extra strength of the booster spring, the camera's mainspring would fire the shutter at 1/250 as the maximum speed. That's why you need to set the 1/500 speed BEFORE you cock the shutter. You either engage the booster spring, or not. You need to decide first.</p>

<p>Every speed below the maximum unboosted speed, uses more and more of a clockwork delay mechanism. By 1/8 of a second and slower, the buzzing from the clockwork becomes obvious. If the clockwork is gummed up, then the shutter speeds will be very slow, or the shutter will just not close at all.</p>