where to get a wide angle macro lens for K10D - any suggestions?

breadbin

<p>i am looking at the sigma 17-70 macro but the only one i can find on ebay is 400 euro and can't see any second hand. needless to say its too expensive and i am really looking for a second hand one.<br>

i dont particularly need the zoom and would prefer a prime lens. but i am not sure there are a wide angle macro available in prime is there?<br>

are there any good places to get a lens such as this. i checked the classifieds here but no cigar. don't mind paying for postage</p>

<p>Problem with a wide-angle macro is that your working distance to the subject is really small, making lighting really difficult. That's why the Pentax-DA 35mm macro is the widest macro Pentax makes. Even at that focal length, many subjects may require a ring flash for lighting.</p>

<p>oh right i didnt know that but it stands to reason as most macro lenses are around the 100mm mark. most good ones from what i have seen anyway:) thanks<br>

<br />not sure i'll get a dedicated macro lens though. they are pretty pricey and the whole reason i was looking for one with a wide angle so i could leave it on my camera all the time. <br>

would you recommend a raynox and general lens combination?</p>

<p>Keep in mind that zooms with macro settings do not provide true, 1:1 macro. Probably closer to 1:3, which isn't macro to me. I've got, and use a lot of the time for nature/landscape, the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 mentioned above, but I've never bothered trying to shoot macro with it. For macro, I grab my Tamrom 90mm macro lens. "Macro" on a zoom lens is a marketing ploy, it's not reality.</p>

When you get a mcro lens you really need to think about your subject. For copy work, and other inanimate objects a 35

mm is fine. But if you are thinking about insects or other animals, you really need to give them some space and that

usually means 100mm (or even more) The bargin macro I generally recommend are the older 90mm f2.5 and f2.8

Tamron adapt all lenses. The lenses are generally under $150 and you'll need a $20 Pentax adapter (look for the A

version).

<p>I've only great things to say about the Pentax DA Ltd. 35mm macro. It is the default lens on my K20D, and its Tokina sibling has become the default lens on my Canon 7D. It's relatively small and lightweight, has outstanding optics, and the true macro capability is great for everything from wildflowers during outback hikes to product shots in a studio.</p>

<p>I find the older 90-100mm focal length macro lenses less valuable when used with APS-C cameras. The framing is just too tight for my style of shooting. I favor 35/50/70mm focal lengths for closeups. True macro lenses are pricey because they better.</p>

<p>YMMV. What kind of "macro" work do you prefer shooting?</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Edmund, what level of magnification are you looking for? Most modern standard zooms already focus fairly close. Even the 18-55 kit lens offers 1:3 magnification. Some people are also plenty satisfied with add-on solutions like the Raynox or other filter-mount close-up lenses.</p>

<p>Edmund - Just to clarify what Lauren said the Pentax 100mm f/4 is a true macro that gos to life size (1:1). It's the manual focus that makes it inexpensive. The autofocus Pentax is much more expensive. Manual focus is usually what's used when using the lens at 1:1 because of the tiny DoF. If you are used to AF in a walk around lens, this may be inconvenient.</p>

<p>Nice shot, Lauren!</p>

<p><em><br /></em>It seems this thread is drifting away from the 'wide angle' macro question, but, a correction:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Pentax 100mm f/4 is a true macro that gos to life size (1:1). It's the manual focus that makes it inexpensive"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, Pentax 100/4 Macro does not go to life size 1:1, it goes to 1:2, which is:</p>

<ol>

<li>Still better than most zooms</li>

<li>Enough magnification for most of the time</li>

</ol>

<p>The same is true of the also excellent and reasonably priced 50/4 Macro. What makes them relatively inexpensive now is:</p>

<ol>

<li>Manual focus</li>

<li>Relatively slow for a short prime, f/4</li>

<li>Most available are Pentax-M or original 'K', meaning they lack the 'A' position on the aperture ring so have limitations on digital bodies (basically require stop-down metering and there's additional loss of P-TTL flash automation).</li>

</ol>

<p>On the positive side, these lenses are very well built, compact, have top notch optics including (expected for dedicated macro lenses) offer relatively flat focus plane and good edge-to-edge sharpness.</p>

<p>I believe both of these were also available in screwmount (M42) which require only an inexpensive adapter.</p>

<p>There was a Pentax-A 100/4 Macro that would have the 'A' on the aperture ring and would work in all metering/exposure modes on a DSLR but these are pretty rare, I think -- the 'K' and 'M' are much easier to find.</p>

<p>There is an autofocus FA 100/3.5 Macro that is supposedly pretty good though a bit plastic-y -- a clone of the Cosina 100/3.5 Macro. These also offer 1:2 magnification and probably sell for less than $200. They're not always available but I see a couple on ebay now.</p>

Another wide-angle alternative is to purchase the Canon 500D Closeup Lens. They come in various filter sizes, but I

would think using a larger one with a few step-up filters would be the most cost-effective. At first glance the 500D

looks like one of those hokey screw-on diopters, but it is top notch macro. Great on the 12-24 mm zoom for rendering

small objects in the foreground sharply with a big vista away in the background.

ME

<p>thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I wanted a walkaround lens that i could leave on the camera and would do everything but alas it seems i can't really. and if i'm honest its not what a dslr is made for - interchangeable lenses are interchangeable for a reason:) <br>

as for what sort of magnification? i started looking at the raynox page somewhere and was blown away with the results of one of these coupled with a dedicated pentax macro lens. the autofocus wouldn't bother me at all i'd prefer manual. </p>