Wedding Photo Shot Count

green_photog

<p>This subject was brought up in another thread which I think would make a good subject of discussion. Of course, the shot count varies from people to people depending on the way they work. But here's mine:</p>

<p>50 shots - Getting Ready, lacing up the dress, the dress and other detail shots, some bride’s family shots<br>

100 shots – Ceremony, venue shots before anyone arrives, guest entering the venues shots, the entire ceremony, family portraits post ceremony<br>

75 shots Couple’s Session, this depends, I had it ranged from 0 to 200 but 50 – 100, is usually what I deliver so I say 75 on average<br>

100 shots – reception, candid shots, venue and décor shots, bridle party’s grand entrance, speeches, dances, etc.<br>

So all together, it’s about 325 for an average 8-10 hour white dress wedding for me. I don’t like redundant shots and the only redundant shots I give is the bride walking down the aisle which I’ll give them a few shots in succession. <br>

All these photos will at least go through LR and some I turn to B&W in Nik and some I cross process a bit to get to a certain feel. </p>

<p>Not sure I'm seeing the point here.</p>

<p>The only shot count that ever really matters to me is the one on the top of the camera that tells me whether I'm close to filling up my SD card. (Doesn't happen much these days.)</p>

<p>I suppose, somewhere way, way in the back of my mind, I have the idea that I would like to give the bride around 150 images, maybe 200. But I've never given a moment's thought to counting while I'm shooting or even before I start shooting. I go, I work hard, I take photos. The number of images I end up with depends on the length of the wedding, my access to interesting shots, special requests from the bride or groom, and other variables. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Green--also don't see the point. Are you asking people to detail their counts per part of the wedding? No way can I do that. As William says--it depends.</p>

<p>Anyway, it really doesn't matter, does it? If your clients are happy and you're happy, doesn't matter how many shots get taken for each part of the wedding, or in total.</p>

<p>Well, I can... ;-) <br>

Though my approach is a bit different.<br>

I contract to provide a minimum number, decided by how long the coverage lasts (100-450+, depending on coverage length, as you, ~60+ for a portrait shoot). I decided on these specific numbers based on how much I am delivering, and the fact that I typically well exceed the contracted number. (I haven't ever failed to <em>well</em> exceed the number, sometimes by 75-100%) ...it's one of the <em>ways</em> I keep clients happy.<br>

The size, and variety of the wedding party is sometimes the biggest challenge, as, with a small party, and a long day, there tend to be numerous 'similar' shots. Many guests gives much opportunity for candids, and a variety of creative opportunities...</p>

<p>Marcus--I also give people a total number which is way low, just to give a number, and then overshoot that by a good amount. But the difference between the number given as a 'guarantee' and the number actually given varies a lot. Still, no way can I give typical counts for the various parts of the wedding.</p>

I think green's post is helpful to those just starting out looking for a number. Too many people I see do shoot and burn,

not taking the time to cull their images to create a well curated wedding collection to give the couple. I totally used to be

that person that gave them every decent in focus and well exposed shot. Those days are gone now. Now they only get

the cream of the crop and the key story telling shots. But I did have my first couple the other day from an engagement

shoot ask me if the 85 shots I delivered from our 1.5 hour shoot was all they were going to get because they remembered

other poses in there that we did that didn't make the final cut. I informed the bride that I don't put up every shot I take, but

I would look for the specific shot she was hoping to find. I can tell you when I was giving people 300 shots from an

engagement shoot they were never looking for extras, so different strokes for different folks. I suppose it is all about

properly managing expectations going into the shoot.

Right now for an 8 hour shoot I usually deliver 600-800 shots. I am constantly working to bring that number down, as my

husband says most people are overwhelmed with more than 300 pictures and I think he is right.

<blockquote>

<p>Marcus--I also give people a total number which is way low, just to give a number, and then overshoot that by a good amount. But the difference between the number given as a 'guarantee' and the number actually given varies a lot. Still, no way can I give typical counts for the various parts of the wedding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do the very same thing. And on the day, I actively cull my images during quiet periods. OOF shots, uninteresting compositions, etc. "Ruthless editing," I like to call it ;-) Reduces my work in post.</p>

<p>I like to tell brides the photo count will be about 40 - 50 per hour of contracted service.So for an 8 hour wedding, I tell her 400 photos but end up giving her probably 500photos or more. The larger the guest count, the more activity and the more fun that is going on to take photos of so the more photos she ends up getting.</p>

<p>I do see the point. Determining your deliverables is a big part of being a photographer.</p>

<p>The point was raised in another thread - if I remember correctly it was first timer who decided to provide 12-20 shots per hour. As I read it, he was chastised for providing a low number of photographs - there was even the suggestion that this would leave him open to litigation, even though the OP had clearly stated that his agreement with the couple was less than this. cue some boastful four figure numbers being waved around...</p>

<p>back to the OP on this thread ;) - like you say, so much depends on circumstances but for me, I've never given over 300 pics for a wedding. I tend to weight things pretty evenly for each section - but provide more for certain aspects of each section (ie bride getting ready, walking down aisle, kiss) and less for some things (groom getting ready, speeches).</p>

<p>I think we do all agree though, that under promising and over delivering is super!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Still, no way can I give typical counts for the various parts of the wedding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You know, I think I<em> could</em> come up w/ a 'typical' number for each part, but since there is so much variation from wedding to wedding, you are right in that 'guaranteeing' X shots of each segment would be foolhardy. For example a Catholic full mass wedding has a lot more opportunity (timewise) for shooting than a five -> ten minute vow exchange, but much less flexibility in your movement, and placement. Other things like site restrictions, guest placement, lighting, timing, adjustments etc. all can affect the 'total' available shots, and often aren't/can't be known when you are signing your contracts.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Be soooooo careful with SD cards. They break without notice. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with you Bob, I use two D90's to shoot weddings that use SD cards. I replace the cards every year but have noticed that they get brittle after a while. I'm waiting to see what the new Nikon D400 has to offer as an upgrade for at least one of my camera's.</p>

Maybe it's from the film days when it would cost a dollar per print, when you add the cost of the film, the developing and of course the print.

I'm pretty careful with what I shoot. As stated before I pretty much tell a story of the event, mainly PJ style and also formal shots of families and the romantics with the couple.

If I discard 20 shots that actually pretty high for me. Most of these are people looking away, blinks, and sometimes I just don't like the shot.

When the clients tell me another photographer they just saw said he will shoot 2000 to 3000 images, my answer is pretty simple. You don't need 2000 shots to cover a wedding. You need a photographer that doesn't just pop off shots for the heck of it. You need someone that makes every shot to count and make you look fantastic. I also tell them they will go nuts seeing 2000 flashes go off. Its your wedding not the photographers wedding. In most cases the shooters need to be in the background when their presence is not needed, such as during the slow parts like the dinner hour.

<p>wow are any of you from the Seattle area ? if a bride gets less than 800 photos for a 6 hour wedding around here they complain and are PISSED, i dont know why since i would prefer quality over quantity, but its the reality here. they would probably try to sue you if you gave them 250 images for a 6 hour wedding. no joke</p>

<blockquote>

<p>if a bride gets less than 800 photos for a 6 hour wedding</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I only had one inquiry where the bride asked for 1600 shots. I said I can't do that and she said all I needed to do was to give them "everything" from my memory cards at the end of the night. I was starting out then and was hungry for booking so I agreed. Fortunately, she didn't book me and we never ever met.</p>

<p>I think she probably when with a guy with faster fingers that could give her 3200 shots.</p>