DPP lens aberration correction data update issue

ljwest

<p>I'm trying to do more experimenting with DPP. My current workflow uses Apple's Aperture exclusively, but I'd like to see what else I may be able to gain using DPP before going into Aperture. I shoot RAW with a 7D, and almost exclusively with Canon lenses.</p>

<p>I've updated to the latest DPP for my Mac, and yesterday, I was trying it out, and ran into a snag straight off the bat. I wanted to update the lens aberration correction data in DPP, so I clicked the "update" button (I do not get a "Tune" button). But all I get in return is a dialog saying that it cannot connect to the server. My internet connection was fine at the time (I checked using Safari and several news sites). Being that it was a Sunday afternoon/evening, perhaps Canon's server was down for maintenance?</p>

<p>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and if it's as simple as try, try again, or of there is some setting I need to adjust. I could not find any setting for where it goes for these updates so that I might ping it outside of DPP.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just tested it at my location and was able to connect fine. I would try again. If it continues to be unavailable at different times then perhaps something (firewall, AV, etc) is blocking your connection.</p>

<p>I just tried this (I'm on Windows 7) and it couldn't connect to the server.</p>

<p>Edit: When it doesn't connect to the server you don't get any lenses available to choose from.<br>

Also, of the lenses I own none are on the list. Most (but not all) are of the L series. Most are EF and not EF-s.<br>

This was working for me when I checked 2 days ago, but not now.</p>

<p>Will DPP store lens data, or will I need to reload every time? The lens I use most often is a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L, and according to the DPP manual, it should have aberration correction data available!</p>

<p>I'll try again tonight, and first thing in the morning, perhaps that will help access to Canon's server.</p>

<p>I added a couple of my lens profiles to DPP (Mac OS 10.68) and it worked perfectly. I'm guessing when it isn't working Canon was having servers problems: heavy traffic or maintenance. And, yes, once you update the data for that lens stays on your computer. </p>

<p>The lens correction feature works really well, especially for the wide side of my 24-105 L and 15-85. Hopefully Aperture 4 will have a similar feature. ACR has a similar feature albeit not as complete as DPP.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Well, I just made the "mistake" of updating to DPP 3.11.31 and now I can no longer connect to Canon to download lens updates. It immediately fails with "Could Not Connect To Server."</p>

<p>I would recommend rolling back to 3.11.26 in order to use this feature. 3.11.26 should still be available to download. </p>

<p>Tried it again before 7 AM EDT (1100 UTC), and it is still not working.</p>

<p>Will have to "downgrade" tonight, and send off a not to Canon Support.</p>

<p>Probably someone forgot to change a setting for the download from "test" to "production"...</p>

<p>Interesting. If you already have the lens correction data for your lenses loaded and then update DPP to the new version, which according to the release notes fixes a problem that I (and doubtless others as well) had reported with the HDR tool, will it happily use the existing correction data, or does it manage to lose access to what you'd already downloaded?</p>

<p>I received a response from Canon Support:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am sorry about the error you are receiving with the Lens Aberration Correction Data.</p>

<p>We are aware of the issue and it has been reported to Canon USA.</p>

<p>Please note, this does not affect the ability to use lens data already installed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of course, I hadn't downloaded any data previously...</p>

<p>I'll check tonight if I can "see" the .26 update out there. I looked from work, but I could not, only the .4 and .31. But that may be due to using Win XP at work and Lion at home...</p>

<p>Update:<br>

<br />Perhaps Canon fixed something on their end, but I was able to download the lens data last night! Still with 3.11.31 on my MacBook Pro running Lion. Two things that I wondered about, though:</p>

<ul>

<li>The download time was extremely slow. Reminded me of the 56k modem days... Also, if I selected multiple lenses to download, the time expanded seemingly exponentially. I had to leave it and go to bed late last night.</li>

<li>I didn't see all of even Canon's recent lenses in my list. Plenty of lenses I don't have, so it wasn't looking at anything like that, but for example, only the 500 & 600 mark II lenses were listed, not the originals.</li>

</ul>

<p>But anyway, the data is in my Mac now, so I can work with it.</p>

<p>FYI: Under Windows 7 x64, DPP 3.11.31 was also able to connect this morning. Download times are about the same as with the previous version: i.e. very, very slow.</p>

<p>[[i didn't see all of even Canon's recent lenses in my list. Plenty of lenses I don't have, so it wasn't looking at anything like that, but for example, only the 500 & 600 mark II lenses were listed, not the originals.]]</p>

<p>There are many, many lenses missing but this is not different from previous versions of DPP. I doubt Canon will ever add them, but will be happy if they prove me wrong. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are many, many lenses missing but this is not different from previous versions of DPP. I doubt Canon will ever add them, but will be happy if they prove me wrong. :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ok, then I suppose all is "normal"! I was expecting a list closer to the one you get for adding Peripheral Illumination Correction to a camera in EOS Utility.</p>

<p>Thank you to those who repsonded to my query and confirmed that 3.11.31 can use lens data you've previously downloaded with an earlier version!</p>

<cite>The download time was extremely slow.</cite>

<p>As with Rob Bernhard's comment earlier today, I found the same thing when I downloaded the 90 MB of data required to support my four current lenses. I didn't time it or measure the actual download rate, but it took way longer than I'd have expected (and, as an IT person, I'm quite accustomed to downloading large installers, patches, etc.).</p>

<cite>I was expecting a list closer to the one you get for adding Peripheral Illumination Correction to a camera in EOS Utility.</cite>

<p>The lens correction info is far more complex than the peripheral illumination correction and I'd expect it would take Canon a lot more effort to produce these files. I won't be surprised to see the list of supported lenses grow gradually over time, but I also won't be surprised if some lenses never make it onto the list. But that's just my guess.</p>