Ring Flash for Macro

guy_gervais

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>Have any of you had any experience using a Ring flash (not a LED light) with the Pentax-A 120mm F4 Macro?</p>

<p>I'm looking for 1 to go with the above mentioned lens + also for my 135mm F4 Macro (6x7).</p>

<p>They both have a 67mm filter size.</p>

<p>Any models that you would recommend?</p>

<p>Thank you,</p>

<p>GGervais</p>

<p>I have no special experience with medium format but given the filter size most 35 mm flash units should fit. Have a look at offerings from Sigma or Metz (see pnet camera and equipment reviews). 67 mm filter size is a bit odd, you may need a step up ring to 72 mm.</p>

<p>Sunpak Auto DX 12R. Good power, reliable. Available used for around 100 US dollars.<br>

With the correct module (PT-2D, about $20 from KEH or ebay) you can have TTL exposure with Pentax 645 models and all Pentax 35mm cameras which have TTL capability. They are often sold with several rings, 67mm being one of them. Find one with a 67mm mount ring if you can though if you don't, from my experience it's unlikely that you will have vignetting problems by adapting to a smaller ring. B+H does sell the 67mm ring for $25 (!)<br>

The DX 08R will also work well and is even less expensive, and takes the same module but will have to be adapted to the 67mm thread. It has less power, but is powerful enough for macro. The Pentax AF140C (I think made by Sunpak) is another good choice, with the capability of turning off one flash tube for less flatness of light; you would have to adapt to 67mm.<br>

Sunpak currently offers a ringflash called the Dmacro, which appears to be the DX12R with a new name. They also sell one called the Auto 16R Pro, which does not have TTL control- clearly no deficit with the 6x7.<br>

Other makers have good products, too. I just have found Sunpak to be a good combination of performance and price.</p>

<p> </p>