Cheap normal zoom for a full frame camera

<p>I just bought a used 5D Classic (the 2005 one). I already have some rather good primes (an m42 20mm f/3.8 Vivitar, a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AI, an m42 28 f/2.8 Chinon and 50mm 3.5 pancake Industar) but I'm looking for a cheap normal zoom to bring with me when I want to stay light.<br /><br />I already saw:<br />* 28-80 (rather bad lens, as someone pointed out on the internet)<br />* 28-90 (same as 28-80)<br />* 24-85 (rather good one, as someone else pointed out)<br />* 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (I've read somewhere that it is a decent lens, and I found a VERY cheap offer).<br /><br />What should I choose?<br />Is there any other cheap lens you'd suggest?<br /><br />Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english :/<br /><br />Giovanni</p>

<p>All the 'cheap' old kit lenses will work, there are about a dozen that can be had pretty cheaply (just look at keh ;-) ), and vary widely in IQ, AF, zoom, etc. </p>

<p>Personally, my favorite was the 35-105/3.5-4.5. excellent optics... pretty miserable AF. </p>

<p>Of course I've always advocated buying the best lens your budget can afford... so what kind of budget are you working w/?</p>

<p>Alan has my recommendation - the <strong>EF 28-135mm IS</strong> is much underrated and so is a considerable bargain. If you can't afford a used 24-105mm IS L, this may be the next best thing.</p>

<p>As an aside, I have always thought that the EF-S 17-85mm IS lens was more an APS-C version of the 28-135, than of the 24-105, certainly in terms of focal length. I think the newer 15-85 may be better. although I have no real complaints about the 17-85 that I still have.</p>

<p>I just bought a new (literally) 5D mk ii, but my beloved 5D mk 1 soldiers on in the capable hands of my daughter ("Why don't you give me the new one, Dad?").</p>

<p>I love the 5D, but be very careful in changing lenses since it is much harder to clean the sensor (different construction, actually, and requires special fluids and swabs) than on later Canon EOS digital cameras.</p>

<p>I believe the best bang by far for the buck in a mid range zoom for full frame is the venerable Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens. There are a lot of people who make money shooting weddings and events that are making money with the Tamron lens. Good luck!</p>

<p>The 24-85 is excellent; and yes, the<strong> 28-80</strong> is **<strong>junk</strong>** -- I have owned both of those.</p>

<p>Go with the 24-85 without hesitation if on a budget. I still wish I had mine.<br>

I cannot remember... i think mine was stolen 12 years ago.</p>

<p>+1 for the 28-135 IS. At the time of the release of this lens there were 2 other standard zoom lenses of about the same quality that you may consider, the beforementioned 24-85 and a 28-105. Beware with regard to the latter, there are other 28-105 lenses in the Canon range that are not as good. Check for the presence of a distance window.<br>

links:<br>

<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_24~85_35~45_usm.html">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_24~85_35~45_usm.html</a><br>

<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_28~105_35~45_usm.html">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_28~105_35~45_usm.html</a><br>

A mark II version of the latter exists, of similar quality.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help.<br /><br />It seems I probably took something "wrong". I fell for that 28-70 3.5-4.5 like new... It costed only 65 euros including postage....<br /><br />I'll try it, if it's bad I'll probably sell it and I'll buy the 28-135.<br>

I really hope I could afford either the 24-70 2.8 or the 24-105 4 :D</p>

Without any thoughts go for 28-135 I have it on my 7D though it extra reach is more but on 5D it will be perfect lens for

walk around. Also if you search eBay you get good condition of 28-200 which is available, canon, sigma & tamron and if

you can live with manual focuse nikkor also available you can use with adapter. But I advise to go for 28-135 IS

<p>Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 -- best lens for the money ever made. Around $400 and it's f/2.8 throughout. I use it on my original 5D and also on my 20D. Image quality compares favorably to similar Canon lenses for a lot less money.</p>

<p>There is also the L series 28-80 f/2.8-f/4 which is pretty decent but perhaps not cheap enough. It is the great-grandfather of Canon's current 24-70 L lens. Or you could get the slightly newer 28-70, but again, might be too expensive.</p>

<p>The predecessor of the current 24-105 is the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM which I have heard is not bad. Unlike the newer lens it does not have image stabilization.</p>