Hasselblad user considering a FUJI GW690 Vs MAMIYA 7 ?

jon_kobeck1

<p>I've got both a Fuji GW690III and GW670III with the 90 mm lens. I was disappointed with the sharpness. I tested both lenses, along side the 80 mm on my Mamiya 7II and Rolleiflex G. The Rolleiflex and Mamiya 7II were both extremely sharp in real world use and lp/mm testing, using my Edmunds Scientific two foot by three foot USAF1951 resolution chart. The two Fujis were not too sharp in real world use, especially lacking in detail, such as showing tiles on a distant roof. They turned in about 60% of resolution on the USAF1951 chart that the Rollei and Mamiya did. I've only used a friend's Hasselblad once. I was not able to test it side by side with the above camera group. However, my impression is in real world life that the sharpness of the Hasselblad 80 mm, along with the Mamiya 80 mm and Rolleiflex, are in the same class. The Fujis are definitely a step below, which was both a surprise and disappointment to me. I'd heard how sharp the Fujis were. On inquiring, I found most people who thought they were so sharp printed no larger than 8" on the short side, where the resolution difference between the Fujis on one hand and the Mamiya and Rollei on the other hand would not be noticeable. Additionally, the Fuji lens coatings seemed to do well with Fuji film and not with either Kodak or Agfa. The Mamiya and Rollei looked good with every color reversal film I've put through them. My experience with all these cameras is limited to using high grade color reversal film of ISO 100 or less. </p>

<p>Information is free and worth every penny. </p>

Art, I've got tack-sharp 16-inch prints from both the wide and normal lens Fuji 690 cameras. I replaced,the Fuji cameras

with Mamiya 7II cameras and I agree the Mamiyas are better cameras. However, in fairness, the Fuji 690 cameras sold

new for half the price of a Mamiya 7 camera with a lens. The Fuji 690 cameras were a relative bargain.

<p>Greeting Jon, i have 2 Hasselblad 503cxs,first one i paid a lot ,the second for short money since a lot of people have switched over to digital,i tried to reluctantly. and immediately regretted it. its something about an Electronic brain and Focus vs a Human Brain and focusing for yourself. ive spent so many years learning about light,shadow,the zone system and more that i felt like i was betraying my hard earned knowledge. Seems today anyone can pick up electronic gear and call themselves a Photographer..id keep the Hassy and spend your money on extra lenses or a spare body.and submerse yourself in your Art using your Hasselblad, nothing against the Mamiya 6,but i find it hard to believe one could ever get tired of their Blad,and all the lenses and extras they offer,you have a Great Camera..Master it,regards Shaun Lake</p>

<p>I have a Fuji GF670, which I took on a trip to Europe. A very handy, versatile, and portable rangefinder, with one of the best viewfinders ever. I also have a Rolleicord Vb, and a Pentax 6X7, with three lenses, of which the favorite is the Rollei. The downside, actually, is choice. It's best, I think, to know one camera system REALLY REALLY well, to become one with the machine. <br>

But the glass always looks greener in someone else's camera bag. Keep the Hasselblad. </p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>As a user of both the Hasselblad SWC/m and 501cm with a number of lenses and the Mamyia 6 with 50/75/150 lenses i can make a couple of comments. You say you generally use a 80mm lens with the Hasselblad. The Mamyia 6 with standard lens is slightly more compact than the Hasselblad equivalent, however i have found that the difference is not that big a deal. If you use one of the older C lenses then the Hasselblad is not really that much bigger. The Mamyia is less intrusive, and faster to use. However, the size difference really becomes more apparent when you look at the 50mm or 150mm lens and if you want to use a prism instead of the WLF. The equivalent Mamyia lenses are significantly smaller and lighter. If you are out walking all day, the Mamyia equipment is far more pleasant and I will usually choose it over 35 mm. In the past the Hasselblad outfit would sometimes have stayed at home. If i used only a standard lens i would not swap the Hasselblad for the Mamyia. However, if you can afford both then i would not hesitate as they are both fantastic cameras with their own strengths and weaknesses. My most compact walkabout medium format kit is an SWC and Mamyia 6 with a 75mm lens to save some weight. However, there are times when i miss the flexibility of the 501cm. If i was only allowed to keep 1 camera it would be the Hasselblad. </p>