Contax 645 viewfinder display disappears

Kat D.

<p>The viewfinder display on my Contax 645 has been disappearing. I don't mean when it times out. (I've had this camera for years and know how it works.) Even if I touch the shutter release lightly, it doesn't come back on.</p>

<p>The camera still seems to work when this happens. At least the camera makes all the normal sounds when I focus and hit shutter release. I haven't developed the film yet.</p>

<p>When this happens, I turn the spot/average metering switch back and forth, turn the camera on and off a number of times, or take the battery out and put back in. Eventually, the display will come back. I haven't figured out if anything I'm doing is causing it to come back. Replacing the battery didn't help.</p>

<p>I have been switching backs lately. Don't know if that could have anything to do with it.</p>

<p>The first time it happened was after the eyepiece shutter had accidentally closed when camera put in camera bag. I opened the shutter, VF display problem started that day. Don't see how they could be related, but thought I'd mention.</p>

<p>Is there anything I should try myself before sending it to ToCAD for repair?</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice.</p>

• 1 month later...