How to Create a Lens Roadmap

miserere_mei

<p>Sony E-mount (i.e. NEX) has one too. I only see a real need for it for these brand new camera systems for which there are highly limited options, because you need potential customers to realize that the limited options are only because of the age of the system. Pentax has a rather large selection of lenses, with most types of lenses covered. I'd rather have as many available lenses that Nikon, Pentax, Sony alpha, or Canon has and no roadmap, than to have 3-4 lens options, and a roadmap promise.</p>

<p>Fuji has one extra degree of freedom in lens designs. Focus shift with change in aperture is a non-issue with their lenses, since they are always focused at the working aperture. They <em>are</em> taking advantage of this.<br>

Sure is a bad-ass line-up, three f/1.4 primes. Pentax only has FA 50/1.4 and DA 55/1.4 at that speed today, which pretty much duplicate each other.</p>

<p>Thanks, Mis. I had been feeling like this subject hadn't been getting the attention it deserves recently.</p>

<p>I don't think there's much excuse for Pentax not offering something like the 27/2.8. Honestly, they could just sell the FA28/2.8 AL that was discontinued several years ago. Better than nothing, and it's pretty compact, smaller than FA35/2, very similar in size (but slightly lighter than) FA50. They could probably work their DA-L magic on the FA28/2.8 AL and have a slightly more modern version, even lighter, probably with updated coatings, like DA-L 35/2.4 or the new DA 50/1.8.</p>

<p>Pentax should absolutely have a lens in this class, and it should be priced less than $300. Even better if they can also offer a second upmarket choice, maybe a DA Limited pancake with a little more speed like f/2 or f/2.4. Fast lenses are nice but the point is that it should be smaller and less expensive than the FA31/1.8 (no more than 2/3 the price).</p>

<p>The wider 23/1.4, well I suspect something so fast and compact for K-mount is just about impossible. I wonder how Fuji's product will be priced. Still, Pentax should probably have a wide angle cousin to the DA*55, sort of a replacement for FA*24/2. My target would probably be f/2 or f/2.4 to control the price and keep it relatively compact. I'd expect it to outperform the DA21/3.2 (not complaining about DA21 which is adequate, but I understand some want more speed and are willing to pay for it in terms of cost and size) at matching apertures as a result of allowing it to be larger.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There's much to learn from Fuji's lens roadmap for their X-Pro 1.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, we can now see how to really develop an APS-C system. As I commented <a href="http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2012/06/some-thoughts-on-sensor-formats-and.html">recently</a>, the APS-C format is starting again - for the third time. This time, however, it looks like it's going to get done right.</p>

<p> </p>