Nikon D3200 live view shooting

petr_tyll

<p>Dear all, I am considering to buy Nikon D3200 for interior photography. But does it have possibility to eliminate the vibration coused by mirror slap? I mean by any means, I know it does not have regular MLU (MLP), so is it possible somehow via live view shooting or is the mirror falling down before the shot in live you anyway? Thank you!</p>

<p>What HE said. It should go without saying that without a solid tripod, for photography like you're talking about, issues of MLU, mirror delay, or even lens sharpness are totally moot.</p>

<p>I can get a better picture with Nikon's worst zoom lens on a tripod at f8 than I can handheld with their best wide angle prime lens unless the shutter speed is over 250th or so.</p>

<p>Depending on the orientation of the camera <strong>and</strong> the use of a substantial tripod, you could drape a 2LB bag of lead-shot over the camera and shoot tethered. Extra mass will damp out vibration of the set-up.</p>

<p>EDIT. It has a Quiet mode and a 2sec Delayed Remote setting. The former seems a good idea, not sure how the later works!</p>

<p>Thanks for response Shun! Actualy I want the camera strictly for interiors and macrophotgraphy. Macrophotgraphy I do is only with flashes at the highest normal sync. spedd (ei 1/200-250 s). For interiors the time can be even longer then 1/8 (sometimes even 1sec. or more). <br>

The thing is, I shot recently with Canon T3i and was quiet surprised with the results in a positive way (but it has regular MLU). 24 Mpx is more then 18Mpx and for the money of D3200 it is amazing. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>If electronic flashes is your only source of light, the short flash duration is going to freeze any vibration so that mirror slap should not be an issue.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if your shutter speed is very long like a second or even longer, mirror slap is also not going to be an issue because any vibration from the slap will die down after 1/10 sec or so. Actually if you can go to a long exposure of a few seconds, that 1/10 sec or even 1/5 sec will be such a small fraction of your overall exposure time that you can also ignore any effect from mirror slap.</p>

<p>Petr, a very common misunderstanding is that very long exposures (a few seconds to minutes) are prone to mirror slap issues, but in fact they are not as I explained earlier.</p>

<p>Remember my earlier question was:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you shooting with a long lens or macro between 1/8 sec and 1/30 sec?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is actually those few shutter speed stops around 1/15 sec that have the biggest problem with mirror slap, but even so, with modern SLR mirror damping, it typically is not a major issue any more. The D3200 is a consumer camera, but it also has a small DX mirror. I would experiment around and see whether mirror slap is even an issue at all under your shooting conditions. If not, there is no point to find a solution to a non-existing problem.</p>

well that is the thing, for my kind of photography I do l not really need fast af, rigid body, weather sealing, high iso.

Image quality is the criterion. Recantly I shot with canon t3i which means the same image quality as 7d for much less

(but the t3i has a full MLU and delay even 10 sec) That is my thinking behind D3200 - super image quality in low

priced body. Recently I saw this test (sorry it is in czech) http://www.digineff.cz/art/jaknato/clanek2018524231.html

It shows that vibration from the mirror effects the sharpness even after 2 sec delay. That is why I am asking about the

live view shooting possibilities with D3200.

<p>Hi Petr, Sorry, i do not understand czech, so i cannot read and undertsnd that article..<br>

What i do understand is that a lot off times delay improves the quality of the shot, not because of "mirror slap" prevention, but because the camera is often not touched between pressing the shutter release and the shutter firing.. .</p>

<p>Often then the same improvements are noticed when operating the shutter by a (preferably wireless) remote control, hence my question : do you also use remote control for releasing the shutter ?</p>

<p>I have also read articles about vibration of different kind whitch affects the shot after some delay, caused by the vibration being picked up and sustained by the tripod/tripod head combo.<br>

This effect is not realy influenced by the wheight of the tripod/head, but more by the resonation of the setup which follows the vibration caused by camera operation.<br>

If you're intrested in the latter, you may want to search the internet for tripod / tripodhead and vibration, or have a look at Charlie Kim's report (2005) : http://markins.com/charlie/report.html</p>

<p>Wow Petr, that's a quick response.. :-)<br>

When shooting longer lenses or other critical situations (macro..) from a tripod or beanbag, i mostly use a radio trigger, just to prevent vibration as much as possible...</p>

<p>AFAIK D7000 and maybe all newer Nikons do not flip the mirror in LV unless when using flash; the remaining noise is from the shutter. The change is to make LV shooting more responsive. <br>

You can check by shooting in LV M mode without a lens attached. <br>

I hear Canons have electronic 1st curtain. </p>