Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS plus 50mm f1.8 or Tamron/Canon 17-50/55 f2.8

sanath_perera

<p>I have a Canon T2i and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC, Canon AF-S 60mm Macro, Canon 18-55 IS kit lens, 50mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.8. I bought Tamron 17-50 and Canon AF-S 60mm Macro about a month ago mainly to take photos of my kids. Although I am not into macro, I really like the 60mm. It takes very nice portraits.</p>

<p>I mainly take photos of my kids but want to do more landscapes (kids have given an ultimatum: "no more photos"). </p>

<p>I am thinking of selling the Tamron 17-50 and Canon AF-S 60mm Macro and buying Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS for its 24mm wide angle on my crop body. When I look at landscape photos I have taken, the best photos were taken at at 24mm from a compact camera. I still can take portraits with my 50mm.</p>

<p>Canon 15-85 is not available to rent locally. Otherwise, I would rent and see for myself.</p>

<p>I look forward for your suggestions.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I really like the 15-85mm and would like to buy it someday, but when I was looking for a good landscape lens I went with the 10-22mm instead. You should be aware that the 15-85mm has a lot of distortion at 15mm, and, when you correct the distortion in post, you will lose a bit of the angle of view. The 10-22mm is much better in this regard; there is almost no distortion at all at 15mm, which is right in the sweet spot of the lens. My recommendation would be to sell everything but the Tamron 17-50mm (awesome lens) and get the 10-22mm. Those two lenses will likely do everything you need, as you say that you don't shoot macro with the 60mm.</p>

I would also recommend the EF-S 10-22. It really is an excellent lens. However, make sure you can do without that 60mm

macro before you sell it. Take some equivalent portraits with the lens you plan to use as a replacement first. My 60mm is

the sharpest lens I own and I haven't found a better portrait lens (for me) to use with my 7D. Naturally, I haven't tried them

all, but my 50mm f/1.8 and my 24-105 f/4 L won't touch it for image quality and bokeh.

<p>The market has several UWA lenses which would be appropriate. The EF-S 10-22 is pretty good. About the same as the Tamron 10-24/3.4-4.5 (albeit w/o USM). Every manufacturer has a lens in this range, and most are pretty darn good. I would look at all the options before dumping a bunch of gear to get a specific lens (esp if a comparable one is 1/2 the price).</p>

<p>That said, the 15-85 is an excellent lens, and makes for a great walkaround lens. I would probably choose to keep the 60/2.8 over the 50/1.8, if thats an option in your circumstance. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em><strong>I mainly take photos of my kids</strong></em> but <em><strong>want to do more landscapes</strong></em> . . . I am thinking of <strong><em>selling the Tamron 17-50 and Canon AF-S 60mm Macro and buying Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS</em></strong> for its 24mm wide angle on my crop body.<br>

When I look at landscape photos I have taken, the best photos were taken at at 24mm from a compact camera. I still can take portraits with my 50mm."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="../beginner-photography-questions-forum/00aVTk">Perhaps a large part of your ultimate decision is whether or not you are still dissatisfied with the Tamron Lens – if you are still dissatisfied with it, then that is very likely another reason to sell it, I expect.</a></p>

<p>Then, if you sell the Tamron I see two major considerations:</p>

<p>IF you are most likely to usually use the replacement lens around 15mm, basically “for Landscapes” then a lens like the Canon 10 to 22 would be better, both in respect of a larger Zoom Compass around 15mm; and also the expectation that at FL = 15mm, the 10 to 22 lens will be better optically than the 15 to 85 Lens.</p>

<p>On the other hand – a 10 to 22 lens is not really “a walk about” lens – the 15 to 85 is better suited for that purpose.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>You seem to have a lot of redundancy in your lens line up, IMO the 17-50mm tamron is the best and most versatile lens you have - do not sell it! The IS will not make up for the loss of aperture, especially when shooting kids.</p>

<p>The non VC Tamron is a great lens, probably better than the VC version, I had it then got the Canon 17-55mm IS, I feel there is no difference in IQ, although the focusing is faster and quieter with the Canon.</p>

<p>I agree with William, get a wide zoom, the Canon 10-22 is a good choice but pricy, a much better bargain is the Tokina 12-24mm f4. The Tokina has a constant aperture which is nice, especially when shooting manual. Also, the ultra wide (10-12mm) is really fun to use with kids.</p>

<p>For portraits I would go with the Canon 85mm f1.8 or the 100mm f2.0, they will blow away anything in your current line up and are relatively inexpensive.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 15-85 is an excellent lens. I never noticed much distortion at 15mm, even when I tested the lens on a map against the wall. It is sharp, contrasty, the IS works very well, and it is compact. I just wish it was f/4 constant (at least). </p>

<p>I found myself always wanting a wider angle when I was limited to 17mm. But I didn't want to carry another lens, and I know from experience that I almost never want wider than a 24mm (FF equivalent) view. My purpose was family outings and landscapes, and the 15-85 fits those needs very well without having to change lenses often. I've found friends and family are intolerant of frequent lens changes.</p>

<p>But, if the main topic is portraits, I'd keep the f/2.8 zoom.</p>

<p>No matter what else you get, a fast prime is a great idea. I'm quite happy with my 50 f/1.4. I'm thinking about getting the 28mm f/1.8 for low light in tighter quarters indoors.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree: Get a wide zoom. Focal lengths below 24mm (eq.) are an acquired taste but there's no way to assess them without trying. The 15-85 is a fine lens both optically and mechanically but you will probably miss your constant f/2.8 terribly if you replace your Tamron with one.</p>