D800 Multi Selector question

nsfbr

<p>Well, it is now day 3 in having possession of my new D800 and I'm chipping away at learning how to use it. On first blush, stepping up from my D300, it is very impressive, but it is going to take a while to fully learn. That said, I'm glad I invested in a mix of DX and FX lenses with a focus on quality. </p>

<p>Enough with the aside. Here's my question: I've been going through the settings and aligning the D800 with how I've had my D300 set up, and I'm just about there, but I can not discover how to change the default functionality of the multi-selector during playback. On my D300 this is Custom Setting f3, and having it on, which I do, sets the control to scroll through images with up or down, and across the different info screens for each image with left and right. The default for the D800 is the reverse of that, and it feel both uncomfortable and would obviously be different between the cameras. Does anyone know how to change this? Thanks.</p>

<p>By the way, I'm sure I'd be less impressed if I were upgrading across a shorter timeline, but D300 -> D800 is a big wow. </p>

<p>Joel: Interesting. The same configuration option is f4 on the D700; I concur that it seems to have gone walkabout on the D800.<br />

<br />

At the risk of not being helpful, could you just reverse your D300 and try to get used to the change? I <i>have</i> reversed the indicators on my D800 to match my D700, but that's because I also have an F5 that's not configurable. Ironically, I made a point of learning this way round when I switched from Canon, who agreed with the D800 default. It's the swapped + and - buttons that are really getting to me.<br />

<br />

For what it's worth, I usually use the scroll wheels to toggle images/switch viewing mode anyway - then the same control skips between images whether or not you're zoomed in. If you're getting used to a different way around, you may find that easier...</p>

<p>The Custom Setting <strong>Photo/Info Playback</strong> has been gone since the D7000. I have standardized all my Nikon DSLRs so that pressing the multi-selector sideways selects the next frame; that seems to make sense because in the old days, film also runs in that direction from one frame to another. In other words, pressing the top and bottom of the multi-selector during image review will display different information on that same image (frame).</p>

<p>It looks like it can only work that way on the D4, D800, and D7000 (I don't have a D4). Previously, on the D3, D700, and D300 ..., the direction was selectable.</p>

<p>If this bothers you, another option is on Custom Setting f9 on the D800, f6 on the D7000: <strong>Customize command dials</strong>. You can turn the last option <strong>Menus and playback</strong> on, and then you can select the frames by rotating the main command dial.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Andrew and Shun, thanks for both the suggestion and the info. It's kind of a bummer that this was removed from the line as I find it hard to believe that the code for it is significant. Shun, yes, I will need to adopt a new mental image of what I'm doing because that is exactly how I work and what I do know. The problem of course is that my mental image comes from how the images wind up in a directory on my computer - in a vertical arrangement. </p>

<p>And yes, I already use the command dials. I am pretty meticulous about how I set up my cameras. For me, as I'm fairly serious about what I do, but unfortunately do not have nearly as much time to spend shooting as would be ideal, it is all about allowing myself to not have to consciously think about any extraneous minutia. It's one of the things I like most about Nikon, but it looks like I'm going to have to spend some time retraining myself, as I fully intend to keep using both cameras. </p>

<p>Thanks again guys. </p>