Carl Zeiss / Contax 25mm f2.8 Distagon Lens

<p>The newer ZE version is very good, but too expensive in my opinion and too heavy. The 24/1.4L is about the same price, weight and has an extra stop and AF. The ZE 25/2 is better at f2 and 2.8 than the 24L.</p>

<p>Personally, I don't think the older 25/2.8 ZE is so hot: the reviews I have read have been mediocre. I don't think it was one of the stronger lenses in the ZE line. The 25/2 is a different kettle of fish - just poor value and the 24L is very good for most of its range of apertures - just not so good in the edges and corners at f1.4 to f2. I guess it all depends on how much you are likely to glory in its wonderful build quality and wide open performance and MF. I'd love to be given it as a gift, but I'm not buying.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Oops. Sorry: you were talking about the Contax Zeisses. You'd have to be happy with a manual aperture and MF. I can't be bothered with 1940s SLR style photography myself, but I am lazy.</p>

<p>The 28/2 ZE is a nice lens but big and heavy and MF. At least it has automatic aperture and integrates into the EOS system. Not such a bad price either. You might want to consider the new EF 28/2.8 IS or 24/2.8 IS. They probably have similar performance.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>thanks for all the feedback, and I'll check out the suggested link Massimo.<br>

I've been using my Canon 24-105, always set at 24, and realized I need a sharp prime 24 (or there abouts). I considered the Canon 24mm 1.4 or the 28mm 2.8 (huge price difference between the two). Though kept reading that other primes lenses are sharper, such as the Zeiss.<br>

Does anyone know about the Schneider f. Contax RTS 2.8/28mm PC-Super-Angulon MC lens?<br>

I don't mind the manual focus or manual setting. This would be my everyday lens. The Zeiss f.2 is too expensive - so I'd be looking in to the older, used ones on eBay.<br>

thanks!</p>

<p>It's a good lens, but its a perspective control lens. I'd leave well alone unless you need it for architectural work. Rather pricey I think you will find. I can't imagine using a PC (or a tilt-shift) lens for everyday work unless you are solely into landscapes or architectural photography.</p>
Robin Smith

Saying I don't mind manual focus and manual aperture control is very easy. Living with that choice with an everyday lens

on an AF optimized body is quite another.

Did you look at the new STM 24 and 28 lenses from Canon? The MTF charts for them are very impressive.

Other primes might bench test sharper, but if you can't focus them accurately or fast enough it is moot.

<p>Sorry Kathleen, I got my acronyms mixed up, too much thinking about the EOS-M! I meant the new IS lenses, not STM.</p>

<p>Here is the EF <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=USA&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=843009">24mm f2.8 IS</a>, and here is the EF <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=USA&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=843011">28mm f2.8 IS</a>.</p>