Got asked to do some graduation photog.

RaymondC

<p>I got asked to do some shooting end of the year for someone's graduation. <br>

<br /><br />I normally do city/landscapes, you know lowest ISO tripod work etc. Basically I have a camera and some lenses and a flash head. I don't have any diffuser or flash bracket, what would you suggest on this side of things? Also I won't have an assistant so have no way to use a reflector. Am I severely limited?</p>

<p>They know I am no pro, they just first asked me if I have Photoshop. Don't think they are that demanding. I know a place where they have a hire studio with all equip. But that might be a can of worms, haha. Never really used them apart from my flash head mounted on a light stand and a umbrella. I mean yeah .. you can review the LCD on the camera, use a flash meter well technically more than practical, haha. Not sure if they want indoors session thou. </p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Maybe just spend money on a diffuser and a flash bracket. <br>

I already have a camera or two and some lenses, I have some software and a flashhead. If they hire a studio, there is an affordable studio they would probably pay for, it does full height, not that I would be doing that but they supply all the light equipments ..</p>

<p>Ray - </p>

<p>Google "Senior Photos" to get some ideas - you didn't mention what lenses you have, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're probably got something in the 50-105mm range? If not - that would be the first thing to acquire - before a bracket or diffuser. </p>

<p>90% of Senior photography today is outdoors - parks, city streets, etc... Your camera mounted flash head should be more than sufficient for fill. My basic senior portrait kit consists of 2 bodies, a 70-200 f2.8 and a 28-70 f2.8, plus 2 flash units. That's really all you need. I've seen photographers go all the way and bring a portable studio out to parks (4 lights, 2 assistants to haul things, etc...) - so you can go overboard if you want. </p>

<p>I'd do the studio thing only if they ask for it / demand it. </p>

<p>If you want to keep it simple, which I would suggest if you are not used to portrait stuff; buy a flash bracket and extension cord and practice flipping it to loose the shadows on portrait (vertical) shots. But try to keep most of your shots in the daylight; using available skylight as your modeling light; keep the light diffuse (subjects in the shadows), not direct zebra stripe sunlight; and the flash as fill only. Once the night sets in, your shots will have more of a point and shoot feel without a second modeling flash.</p>

<p>What about if I was doing a portrait side shot? The flash would be on the side ... Thanks Jack.</p>

<p>I have a 80-200mm but a slow one, f/4.5-5.6, I may get a 70-200/2.8 later for my own hobby as well. I have also a 50 f/1.8 and a 85 f/1.8 as well. </p>

<p>Will need to practice, bit higher ISO, drag the shutter, open apeture and a bit of flash. What do you suggest as a setting for flash? -1 2/3 stop? Daytime and what about night time like to keep the sunset or twilight city colours?</p>

I do a lot do senior portraits. It's not rocket science but you do need to know what you're doing. Some clients don't realize just because

someone is a photographer, even a pro, they cannot and do not do all types of photography. You would not ask a dermatologist to

perform heart surgery. Or vice versa.

If you do not feel qualified for this gig, I suggest turning them down. It's a big deal for them and it needs to be done well. Your reputation

is also a big deal, even if you're not a pro. Ending up with photos that are mediocre or worse will hurt both sides.

It's unclear to me if you were asked to take senior portraits or cover a graduation. Covering a graduation would be even trickier as you

can't control the lighting, location, etc.... Also not sure what 'end of the year' means. If it have until December to study and practice

portraits and want to throw yourself into it then go for it. Just be honest with yourself about your abilities and recognize that it's you, even

more than the client, who needs to decide if you should take this job or not.

<p>It is in December. It's more with senior portraits outside I think maybe the graduate has the gown on. Highly doubt will take graduation per se, over here, in NZL we are not allowed to access anyway because the ceremony is held in a convention centre hall. And, the university has a assigned professional who snaps everyone who walks up to get their piece of paper, they can just buy that. </p>

<p>Keep that in mind, I might not be here in December anyway, it's the holidays again. </p>