Nikon D700 - tethering

megan_stone

<p>I would like to start tithering during my photoshoots. Do i need to purchase a specific application? I use a Nikon D700 and a new MacBook Pro.</p>

<p>Or are there any reliable free softwares that i can download and then use a USB cable to attach camera to laptop?</p>

<p>thank you for any help</p>

<p>thank you alan - i've downloaded sofortbild and it works :) my only question is - am i not able to go through the images taken via sofortbild .. for example to quickly compare one shot and another after a minor adjustment? does it only show the last shot image without the ability to browse previous ones? thank you</p>

<p>The Mac comes with Image Capture, which I use for tethering all the time. Plug in the camera to the computer, launch Image Capture, and on the left the camera will be listed. Choose it and you can even snap the shutter with a command.</p>

<p>There's a place to choose the Preview program to display the photos you shoot. In the Preview program you can zoom in and out, and also adjust color, crop, sharpen, a variety of things. The entire operation is very useful. Or choose iPhoto to store and catalogue the photos, and use all the tools available there as well. (Most people don't realize how much is bundled with a Mac and how useful all the software really is.)</p>

<p>You can also buy Aperture for $80 via the App Store program on your Mac, which does everything Lightroom does (both have a learning curve).</p>

<p>michael - i just tested it out with a friend and her camera/computer. Image Capture is showing the photos taken on the screen as columns of thumbnails of the photos ... not a screen size image with editing options and a histogram - ideally</p>

<p>The histogram is in Preview. In the Image Capture window you have to click on the Import To popup and choose Preview there. Then choose the images and click Import at the bottom right of the Image Capture window. When they open in Preview, go to the Tools menu and choose Adjust Color.</p>

I have used Sofortbild on my Macair tetherqed to my D700. It seemed to be a bit slow and as such interfered with the flow of my shooting.

Nevertheless it worked and I Would try agin but probably with something more powerful than a Macair.

<p>i suppose i really just need it for the first few shots - to have a look at the image on a larger screen, check the histogram and then i will most likely disconnect it and shoot normally perhaps.</p>

<p>i have it set-up so that it saves to a file, that i have open in Bridge .. that way i can browse there and open them in RAW if i need to</p>