Hasselblad 503CW

amir_vii

<p>I'm thinking of getting an Hasselblad 503CW, working with a Mamiya C330 and a Mamiya RZ67 for years, I think its time for me to get my dream camera.<br>

<br />I have found two used items on Ebay and to me it seems like a good fair price.<br>

What do you guys think?</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-503CW-80mm-CF-A24-Back-Winder-CW-PM5-Prism-/190699539542?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c66940c56</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-503CW-80mm-CF-A24-Back-PM-Prism-/190696178249?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c6660c249</p>

<p>Amir,<br /> Try looking at a thread from May, earlier this year.<br /> http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00aNLW</p>

<p>If the 'powers to be' here at P-Net would develop a separate Hasselblad forum,<br>

(with a couple of subsets for the various models), this would allow you and others to<br>

easily find information from the vast library of Hasselblad information available here.</p>

<p>It's not your fault that you were unable to easily find this information...it just<br>

seems that P-Net won't develop a separate Hasselblad forum.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p>Maybe not 'all' of your favorite 220 films are unavailable. 220 b&w is gone..not color.<br /> Try East Coast Photo, as they show about 11 different emulsions in stock, in 220 color.<br /> When dealing with any film retailer...ask about expiration dates, and cold storage practices.<br /> MF Color Print Film:<br /> http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/nav/listing.asp?catid=130&hid=125<br /> MF Color Slide Film:<br /> http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/nav/listing.asp?catid=131&hid=126</p>

Yes, yo do need an A12 back. If not just an A12 (i.e. instead of the A24 these cameras come with), at least as well as the A24. So add in the costs of such a back (or two).<br>You will want a waist level finder too. So even more additional costs.<br>A C/M or even CM is cheaper. But the CW offers a couple of usefull features more.<br>I think these are a bit expensive. But for that they do look good (for what that may be worth).

<p>Thank you all for the tips, really appreciate it<br>

<br />Any reason you guys prefer the CM over the CW? Since some of you guys mentioned shooting hasselblad for a long time I'm just wondering what are the main differences between the CM and the CW. <br>

<br />I do have a source for my medium format films. Both 120 and 220. This guy has been saving all these films from the past couple of years in a cooler and sells them to me for 3$ per roll. And I have never been disappointed with the films. Always does the job for me like its a brand new film. <br>

<br />How much does an A12 back and a waist lever finder cost? (used)<br>

<br />I'm gonna admit I have felt in love with the look of this beauty. You guys mentioned this is a bit over priced? What price range should a camera like this be in?<br>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-503CW-80mm-CF-A24-Back-Winder-CW-PM5-Prism-/190699539542?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2c66940c56&afsrc=1<br>

I will be emailing a local camera seller to see if he can find me any mint CWs. </p>

<p> </p>

Only Russ here expressed a preference for the CM. ;-)<br>Not clear whether he means a 500 C/M or 501 CM. Both are cheaper than the 503 CW, the older 500 C/M a lot, the 501 CM a bit.<br>That not just because of age, but also because they offer fewer possibilities: no TTL-flash control nor Winder CW (or other motor winder). The 500 C/M also without the non-vignetting, 'gliding' mirror.<br><br>Given the choice, i do prefer the 503 CW over any of the other "C" models. The only 'down side' is that it is the most expensive model.<br>The right price is also highly subjective. And there's that huge discrepancy between the used market value of even pristine samples and what the factory still charges for new ones.<br>So perhaps read that "too expensive" more like "perhaps worth it, but not what i would be willing to pay".<br>Toting up what you would expect to pay for the separate parts in similar (optical) condition (we don't know what the true condition of the stuff is), however, you would already come close to what the seller on eBay is asking.<br>Having to pay more for an A12 and waiste level finder does make a difference. Count on (roughly) another $400 or so (could be more, could be less) for both combined in reasonable condition. Perhaps $600 for the same in very good cosmetic condition.

<p>thanks for the detailed answer Q.G. de Bakker,<br>

just wondering, I have been mostly shooting with my Mamiya C330 and you can see some of my work at www.viiphotography.com <br>

with the Mamiya C330 things were less complicated. Just wondering though the link i posted on Ebay includes a PM5 prism. Whats the need for a waist level finder? </p>

A waist level finder allows a different approach to photography.<br>Not peeping through a hole at your subject, but instead looking down to see an image of your subject may not seem much different, but it is.<br>Besides that, and besides a slightly larger magnification offered by the waiste level finder's loupe, there's no 'functional' need.<br>But you are familiar with waiste level finders, so can judge whether you want one or not.<br>A 45 degree prism is fine too. Would have been even better if it had been a PME finder, i.e. one with a exposure meter inside.<br><br>The Hasselblad you are looking at is also very uncomplicated. All the technical bits you need to concern yourself with is setting focus, shutterspeed and aperture.<br>And that's all you can do too: there's nothing to get in the way of creativity.

<p>A friend of mine also suggested two other cameras; Mamiya 645 and Mamiya 7<br>

So basically I can either go with the Hasselblad 503CW, the Mamiya 645 AFD II or the Mamiya 7.<br>

Which one would be a wiser choice? I have heard nothing beats the quality of Hasselblad cameras so I'm aiming more towards the Hasselblad and more specifically, either one of those two cameras that i mentioned in my first post. </p>

"Which one" questions generally result in as many recommendations as there were options presented.<br><br>For me, the Mamiya 7 is a perfectly fine camera, but also a too limited one.<br>Limited in the range of lenses available. But most of all in what you can do with it. A SLR system camera is much more versatile.<br>Which leaves the Hasselblad and the Mamiya. Quite different beasts, and it should not be too difficult to decide what set of features (i.e. lack of) appeals most to you.<br>And for me again, the best thing automated features can offer is an "off"-switch. Whether it be autofocus or autoexposure, you'll find yourself checking what the machine is doing, correcting/'biasing' it constantly to get, not what the camera wants, but what you want. You're do better using a camera that doesn't have a mind of it's own you need to second guess and overrule all of the time.<br>But to each his own.

<p>I really can't decide! I have been shooting with a Mamiya C330 for the past 4 years and I have gotten some great results with it. <br>

Most of the work on my website http://www.viiphotography.com is shot with my Mamiya C330. I just feel the need to change and get a new gear. I mostly want to shoot fashion, portraits (mostly outdoors) <br>

I just love the vintage look to my portraits when shot with a medium format. I'm really not sure if I'm making a wise choice getting a Hasselblad 503CW. I don't want to make any rushed decisions which I will regret later on. I want to see what choices, I have and what camera would best suit my needs.<br>

Any opinions? </p>