Is there any TTL to i-TTL adapter?

benhai_zhang1

<p>Hi, I just bought a Nikon sb-28dx for my old D200. Is there any TTL to i-TTL adapter as an inexpensive alternative for a i-TTL flash? I know I can live with "A" mode but would like to see if there are ways for the sb-28dx to be able to set the aperture and zoom automatically. </p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Benhai</p>

<p>Film TTL and i-TTL work differently.</p>

<p>During the film era, TTL flash works during actual image capture. The film SLRs have flash sensors inside the mirror box, and those sensors measure light reflected from the film during actual exposure (when the mirror is up) and cut off the flash when the film is properly exposed.</p>

<p>Digital sensors do not reflect light in the same fashion as film. Therefore, i-TTL depends on pre-flashes and it uses light sensors inside the viewfinder to measure the pre-flash to determine the actual amount of flash needed. That all happens when the mirror is down (before it goes up for the actual exposure).</p>

<p>Those are totally incompatible technologies.</p>

<p>Technically, I guess - since the sb-28dx is already designed to do a d-TTL pre-flash - the hardware of the flash ought to be capable of supporting i-TTL (although I gather d-TTL preflashes at a higher power). The electronics would either need replacing or bypassing. I can't imagine that the market is full of third-party solutions of this sort, since small third-party i-TTL-compatible flashes from companies like Nissin are relatively affordable. I can't imagine it's worth the effort, compared with picking up either a Nissin or Sigma system or a used SB-400. Unless you're really bored and want to play with an Arduino...</p>