Questions on Brooks Falls, Hallo Bay and ArcticWild.com operator

anat1

<p>Hi PNers,<br>

My wife and I are planning a trip to photograph the brown bears in Katmai National Park in mid-July 2012.<br>

I was looking into Brooks Falls (and even have a couple of nights of campsite reservation there). But after doing some initial research I am finding that a) Brooks Falls can be very crowded during this time and b) the range of compositions of bear shots maybe limited to a few great shots of the bear catching a salmon on the falls.</p>

<p>My questions:<br>

1. Am I mistaken, or are there a wider variety of shots to be had apart from the bear-on-falls-shot in Brooks Falls?</p>

<p>2. Would Hallo Bay make for a good alternative (albeit without the "falls" shot)? I am told there is more scenery for landscape shooting too. Its supposed to be much less crowded as well (back-country camping after all).</p>

<p>3. Would there be a similar concentration of bears in the Hallo Bay area as there is in the Brooks Falls area in mid-July?</p>

<p>4. Lastly, I would be very interested if any of you have tried guided back-country trips with ArcticWild.com (based out of Fairbanks, AK and co-owned by Micheal Wald, Bill Mohrwinkel and David van den Berg). They seem to have some great multi-day bear watching trips, but I am unable to find reviews online.</p>

<p>Thank you for any information / advise.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Here's a couple of things. I've been to both Brooks Falls and Hallo Bay. If you stay at Brooks Falls, you will be able to get out to the platform(s) before, and stay after, the day trip flights. So you have a better chance at getting your shot in good light, and spending more time there. I understand you can also walk up the river (might want some waders) to look for bears as well. I think you may need to make some arrangements to fly into and out of Hallo Bay for day trips. I went there on a charter boat and spent a few days there. Yes, there's great scenery and the bears are pretty mellow. Try also the King Salmon Lodge - they may have some photo opportunities on offer. </p>

<p>Here's a couple of things. I've been to both Brooks Falls and Hallo Bay. If you stay at Brooks Falls, you will be able to get out to the platform(s) before, and stay after, the day trip flights. So you have a better chance at getting your shot in good light, and spending more time there. I understand you can also walk up the river (might want some waders) to look for bears as well. I think you may need to make some arrangements to fly into and out of Hallo Bay for day trips. I went there on a charter boat and spent a few days there. Yes, there's great scenery and the bears are pretty mellow. Try also the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge - they have some photo opportunities on offer. </p>

<p>Hi Steve,<br>

<br />Thank you for the information. I had also thought that staying overnight would allow me to target better light. Its good that you can confirm from your first hand experience. </p>

<p>Thank you for the tip regarding the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge in the Lake Clark area. That actually looks great! But unfortunately I have already made plans for the Brooks Falls area. But next time I would be really interested in the Lake Clark area.</p>

<p>I decided against also including a trip to Hallo Bay as it was very weather-dependent, complicated (and expensive) to arrange a fly-in charter from Brooks Falls to Hallo Bay. It seems most of "arranged" tours start from Homer.</p>

<p>I was also hoping somebody would point me to some added opportunities for shooting in the Brooks Falls area, apart from the Falls platform. You did mention that wading up the river maybe possible. Given the popularity of Brooks Falls, I'm surprised more folks don't have recommendations for more specific shooting opportunities in the area.</p>

<p>Thank you again for your advise - much appreciated!</p>

<p> </p>