24-70L discontinued

<blockquote>

<p>It works fine but I don't use it much anymore.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Frequency of use is the best criterion to determine whether or not to sell a lens. For example, I just sold my near mint FD 300/2.8 L. It's a gorgeous lens that produces gorgeous imagery, but I simply wasn't using it. I figured that I'd let someone else get some use out of it, and make a tidy sum of money in the process.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“Or maybe you were thinking about <em>replacing it with three primes</em> . . .”<br>

“<em>Three primes, yes, that's the ticket</em>. It's so <strong><em>exasperat</em></strong>ing to have a lens that's discontinued isn't it.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

Very sharp repartee.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>There might or might not be sarcasm.<br>

But the point is - it still remains unclear as to WHY you are asking “is it wise to sell the 24 to 70?”</p>

<p>You’ve mentioned the lens being discontinued and you’ve mentioned that you do not use it very much.<br>

You come back to the thread and make comment on the repartee - - BUT you have still not answered:<br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Which one is it, low usage, or discontinued? </em></strong></p>

<p>That’s frustrating.</p>

<p>WW<strong><em> </em></strong></p>

<p>I bought a 24-70L about 4 months ago after my first one was stolen 3 years ago, I am extremely happy I bought one again. <br /> It is my favourite lens, hence why I bought it again. This just may be wishful thinking on my part but the 24-70L seems sharper with close up flower shots than my 100 macro. I would not sell mine discontinued or not.</p>

<p>Check on Ebay etc. and see if the secondhand prices have dropped now it's discontinued. My suspicion is that they have not, since Canon helpfully introduced the replacement model at a higher price. But even if the secondhand price is lower than it would have been six months ago, the important question is what else you need the money for and if that's worth more to you than what you are selling.</p>

<p>BTW, I happily use my 28-80 L, which is the grandfather of your lens and has now been superseded three times over.</p>

<p>I must take a minute and respond. <br>

It makes me think of how we frequently say, "there is never a stupid question".<br>

Well.... the reality is... there are. Now what we meant to say and what we were thinking might not be what we actually said. <br>

I don't know Bob Atkins but I've read enough of his responses to know he is a good guy. I can envision him waking up with his first cup of coffee (in his 24-70 coffee mug.. <a href="http://100milligrams.com/canon-2470mm-lens-zoom-version-p-294.html?osCsid=jn4atsmsn08pen12lg3ajsi7m6">http://100milligrams.com/canon-2470mm-lens-zoom-version-p-294.html?osCsid=jn4atsmsn08pen12lg3ajsi7m6</a> ) and reading the question and having this... "I can't take it anymore moment". <br>

My thought when I read it yesterday was... "do you think there is a chip in it that will deactivate it?".... but I didn't post that.<br>

Keep in mind that we frequently are laughing at ourselves when we are laughing at you ("you" being any author of a question that seems silly)<br>

I'm avoiding productive work right now. I need to leave in less than 48 hours to take a trip to Oakland/San Francisco for a week. I've got my first out of state photography job on June 2nd. I should be sorting through my crap and figuring out what stays and what goes. (the 24-70 will go of course)<br>

There is another forum that I won't mention that has so many questions that are off the hook. I'm waiting for the "I've got a new 5D MK III and a 24-70L II and wondering what settings you guys use for weddings" This forum isn't so bad.<br>

So along comes your question and the sarcastic responses are a natural result. I've been around internet forums since they started. Many are brutal.... this one is very mild. You got off easy. Don't take it personally. I'm sure no harm was intended.<br>

So.. should you sell it? If you never use it... maybe. (I can't bring myself to sell the crap I don't use) There are so many copies out there I don't think it will make much difference selling it now or later if you are thinking of price. B and H still has them in stock. It won't go bad sitting on the shelf.<br>

Have a good day...<br>

Richard</p>

<p>In reference to the sarcasm issue:</p>

<p><em>Community Standards: Please take a moment to ask yourself if what you're about to post is going to be useful to the person who asked the question. Then ask yourself if, when someone stumbles upon this exchange four years from now via a Google search, they are going to say 'that was worth my time to read'.</em></p>

<p>If you are not using the lens that much than by all means sell it. The lens being discontinued should have no bearing on your decision - IMHO. Canon will still support the lens if it needs repairs for a few years still.</p>

<p>I agree If you arte not using the 24-70 then sell it. However, that is an extremely common range for most things I do with my camera. It is the main range I would spend big dollors to have a great lens in. The Canon 24-70 will always be great glass whether it is discontinued or not. I have an 85 1.2 L version 1 which I very seldom use, but just can't bring myself to sell it for fear that I will get that one big job where I will absolutely need that lens. I have aleady invested in it and know its history and I will still be able to sell it for a pretty penny years from now. Who knows it may even go up in price like the new L-series lenses are doing.<br>

PS - If you could make a swap fro the new Tamron 24-70 VR thant might be a good trade.</p>

<p>I saved a long time to get the 24-70mm <em>f</em>2.8L mark I, and fully love my copy. Nine hundred dollars more for the mark II, I think I will be holding on to this baby for some time, I can buy my MP-65 new for almost the difference. If you do not use your's, sell it, I am positive there are buyers like me still out there looking for a good used model, and will be for some time. Heck there are people still picking up used copies of the 28-70(80)mm L, and it has been discontinued for some time. Best regards...<br /> -Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Then ask yourself if, when someone stumbles upon this exchange four years from now via a Google search, they are going to say 'that was worth my time to read'.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>So far, in my personal opinion, the only thing that makes this thread worth reading <strong>now</strong>, much less four years from now, is the "sarcasm".</p>

<p>One can only <em>presume</em> that the OP meant to ask,<br /> "will the price of my 24-70 drop like a dead raccoon now that the lens has been discontinued? or should I just keep it?"</p>

<p>However, that is <em>not</em> what the OP said, so the OP should belly up to the bar and take the medicine.</p>