Poll: What to take to Mexico?

joel_b.1

<p>Off for four days in Mexico City and seven in Oaxaca. Can't wait to take pictures! I think I've made up my mind what to bring, but I'm curious: What would you bring, and why? Here are the contents of the gear closet to choose from:</p>

<p>D700<br /> D7000<br /> Canon S95</p>

<p>20mm 2.8D<br /> 28mm 2.8AIS<br /> 24-70mm 2.8G<br /> 35mm 1.8G DX<br /> 50mm 1.4G<br /> 85mm 1.8G</p>

<p>Much as I'd like to bring a film camera, I've talked myself out of that for sure, so I won't even list them . . .</p>

<p>I know these posts are kind of silly, since different people like to shoot different things. Judging by my kit you can probably tell I'm most interested in landscapes, street, and portraits; not a lot of birding options here! Nevertheless I'm still curious what kind of thought processes others of you go through when making these decisions. Note I'm not asking what I should bring, so much as I'm asking what you'd bring. Thanks!</p>

<p>If it were me and I had that, I'd bring the D700, the zoom, and maybe the 85 and the 20mm lenses. If I could only bring two lenses, I'd bring the zoom and the 20 (and I'd insure them).</p>

<p>I would have the S95 in a pocket, too.</p>

<p>But I don't have that, and I'd travel with a DX camera (can't afford FX), my 18-70 (nice and small), my 35mm f1.8DX, and my ultra-wide... I'd bring all the lenses I possibly could (all in my carry-on), but that's what I'd end up using.</p>

<p>bring an extra liver for the tequila bars.</p>

<p>as far as camera gear, it's pretty straight forward: d700, 24-70, 20mm, 85mm, s95. i'd use the pocket camera mainly in mexico city and the dslr in oaxaca. a beagbag or travel tripod would be good.</p>

<p>By now, I've had quite a bit of experience traveling (won't go to Mexico though.) I've come to think that you'll use exactly the same camera gear on a trip that you would at home. Also, it works out best to take the minimum, making what you do take your least specialized and most flexible items. The S95 is something I'd take for sure.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Out of your gear, I would choose:<br>

D700, 24-70mm 2.8G, and Canon S95. Since the 20mm 2.8D and 50mm 1.4G are so small I'd probably bring at least one of them too, but I have to say those aren't my favorite lenses. If they are your favorite lenses, I would consider bringing just the 20mm 2.8D and 50mm 1.4G, but since the 24-70 2.8G is probably your best lens, if you don't mind its weight, I would just leave it on your camera all the time. =)<br>

As always when traveling, be aware of your surroundings and be safe, but Mexico City and Oaxaca are wonderful places, and I would give the same advice about keeping your wits about you in any big city --- like New York or Paris. Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Proof of purchase your gear in the USA, or some cash substitute for lack of such document.<br>

When leaving for US, I was asked to prove that I did not purchase the photo gear in Mexico. Obviously I did not have such a proof, since I was there many times, and never knew I needed one.<br>

Have some cash as a convincing argument...:)</p>

<p>I have traveled in the state and the city of Oaxaca and I can tell you that this is one of my favorite places in the world. The shooting opportunities are fantastic and the people are wonderful. Some of the best work I have done in years has been in Oaxaca. It is a great art community with wonderful galleries and museums including the incredible Rufino Tamayo museum. I would travel light there and for that reason would suggest the d7000 and your 17-55 2.8 and perhaps a 35 0r 50mm prime.<br>

I have not been to Mexico City to photograph but I would use caution at the present time and take Lex's cautions to heart.<br>

The food in Oaxaca is fantastic and I am yet to get sick. Have fun. you will love this great city.<br>

-Owen</p>

<p>Last time I went to Mexico, the customs form I filled out indicated that people were only allowed to bring in one camera. I ended up handing off my second camera to someone I was traveling with. That's been a few years now (the form also indicated a limit on the amount of film you could bring), but you might want to check that out before you go.</p>

<p>I don't know if Mexico City warrant such notoriety as often seen on major US news outlet or some mentioned here. I was there in '08 for a week and wandered around quite a bit. I even went into certain "bad" neighborhoods. In my experience, the people are genuinely fun and warm. I worry more going to certain parts of Miami or, say, Baltimore...</p>

<p>Gear wise, the S95 plus<br>

d700 + zoom (nice lens but still not wide or long enough for certain shots imo) or d7000 20+35 (limited but nice, smaller street kit)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are many opportunities for wide angle shots in Mexico, especially in Oaxaca. You'll want FX, so I would take the D700. I would include the 20mm. After that, definitely the zoom, as it will be your most used lens.</p>

<p>I recommend staying in Casa Arnel in Oaxaca.</p>

<p>Don't drink the water. Don't even brush your teeth with the water. Use bottled water. Don't order soup in restaurants--they make it with local water.</p>

<p>I would probably carry the D7000 with the 24-70mm and the 35mm, or the D700 with the 24-70mm and the 50mm. If you like the wider-angle stuff, I would carry the full-frame option and add the 20mm to the group. I've never been to Oaxaca, so I don't know if you will need a telephoto for wildlife. The 85mm would stay home.</p>

<p>In either case I would take the smaller S95 also...you will probably need it in Mexico City. I'm in Salvador, Bahia (Brazil) right now and have my D300s, 16-85mm, and a 50mm 1.4. In the city of Salvador, it can be a little sketchy (particularly at night) and I find myself being overly cautious, which effects the way I take photos. I wish I had a smaller point-and-shoot. In the smaller towns outside of the city the dSLR is fine.</p>

<p>I personally prefer the 50mm over the 35mm for a few reasons. The limited depth of field is one. Also, I tend to take a lot of random portraits of local folks, and I don't like to be on top of people when taking pictures, so the 50mm works better in this regard. Finally, even though the crop factor makes a 35mm like a 50mm on DX, the perspective is still that of a 35mm. For me, this is important for a little more facial compression when taking pictures of people. I would prefer the compression of an 85mm, but that requires way too much working distance, particularly on DX. In most cases I prefer the 35mm on DX, but for traveling I always go with the 50mm. I don't miss the wide-angle or the telephoto much here. </p>

<p>Definitely get all of your gear insured if you don't already. The couple of hundred bucks per year is worth it. And stock up on the right OTC medications before you leave...I would even try to get the doc to write a script for something just in case. Being sick while traveling is no fun. Have a great trip!</p>

<p>The key choice is whether you are going to travel light or are willing to carry a heavier kit. You haven't mentioned any specific subjects; if you did, you'd of course choose gear for that. </p>

<p>For light kit: D7000, but you don't have a lighter weight zoom. From your lenses, the 35G and 20 f/2.8D. From my kit, the 18-70 kit zoom and a fast prime, either 35 for general use or 50 for portraits.</p>

<p>If you are willing to muscle around a bigger camera, the D700 and 24-70. </p>

<p>Thanks, everyone! It's really interesting to hear how different people approach a situation like this. My plan is to take an Ultrapod II (I love this thing), the S95, the D7000, and two primes: the 50 for sure and probably the 20. (For the record, though, I think it's a little sad that no one spoke up for the 28.) I love that 24-70, but I don't like to walk around with it, especially in cities, both because of the weight and because of its conspicuousness. Have you ever had one of those things pointed at you? </p>

<p>I'll let you know at the end of the month how it all went! Assuming of course I'm not eviscerated by dysentery or beheaded by drug lords. Thanks again!</p>

<p>As I have them myself (albeit the D-versions) I'd definitely pick the D700 w/ 20, 50 and 85mm.<br />My fave travel kit (although lately I often replace the 85 for a 200/4 or 180/2.8)<br /><br />In fact, that's what I use right now, still travelling in Indonesia after Nepal. The idea is to use the 50 the most, with the 20 for dramatic streetscapes, clouded skies etc and the longer lens for portraits or more discreet shots. <br /><br />As another nice & light combo I'd take the D700 w/ 28 and 85. Hope to pick up a nice 28 (and some more of those well made and compact MF lenses!) myself one of these days! :-)<br /><br />Enjoy!</p>