Upgrading Photoshop CS5 to CS6

<p>I want to upgrade but am a little confused ............ at some point I read that Adobe had decided that only CS5 would be offered an upgrade. Now it looks like they've extended this to include CS3 and 4. Does this mean that the owners of CS5 now pay the same price for an upgrade as the owners of older versions?</p>

<p>Speaking of CS5..... I just went from CS2 to CS5. One thing I don't like is the windows behavior. In CS2 and older I could maximize a window and it would not hijack the screen. I could also tile vertically or horizontally. Is there a way to make CS5 mimic CS2's window layout?</p>

<p>Tim, I had the same problem. Go to the Windows tab on the toolbar, click on Arrange, the sub menu on the right gives a number of options on how to arrange your images: Cascade, Tile, Float in window, Float all in windows, Consolidate all in tabs. Hope that helps!<br>

Sorry Al, I can't help you with your issue tho....</p>

<p>Al, yes, that is what it means. Adobe stepped back from their 'CS5 only' position to allow pre-CS5 owners the ability to upgrade to CS6. I believe this is valid only until the end of 2012 or something like that.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Note that Adobe has said that upgrades will now only be available directly from them."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Keith, do you have a link for that, as I hadn't seen anything about that. That is certainly consistent with the fact that none of the usual sources (Amazon, Adorama, etc.) are selling upgrades. But Adobe must have different policies regarding Lightroom, as Lr4 upgrades were available through the usual retail channels.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the info and taking the time and trouble.<br>

I think I'd rather get it on a disc and it seems this is available from sources other than Adobe. Amazon UK is selling an up-grade for 190.81 pounds sterling, available from May 7th, unless they're simply acting as agents for Adobe.<br>

The reason I want it on disc is that I live in Germany but my German is not that hot so I want a English language version. In the past I've been able to up-grade my PC and laptop. Anyone have any idea if that still applies? Thanks so much.</p>

<h1 ><br /></h1>

<p>Hi Al, I don't know about the price difference involved but a CS6 Upgrade can be bought from Adobe Europe and the language can be specified. The site is<a href="https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-de&view=ols_co&paypal=success&orderNumber=AD000864249FR&shipMethod=26&token=EC-4PU59318B34265544&PayerID=BL4K36V33X3Q8#store=OLS-DE&fromHistory=true&loc=de_de&view=ols_cl"> HERE</a></p>

<p>Roger</p>

<blockquote>

<p>do you have a link for that, as I hadn't seen anything about that</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't have a direct Adobe link - I read about it on prodesigntools.com. I don't know what countries it applies to, but it's at least true in the USA. It's a shame since you could usually save a few dollars on an upgrade from the retail places.</p>

<p>Interesting, earlier today, I was checking B&H and Amazon's web sites, and I was wondering why I could not find any PhotoShop CS6 upgrades available; only full versions were available.</p>

<p>Just a couple of months ago, I bought the LightRoom 4 upgrade from B&H.</p>

<p>A few months ago, Adobe had the policy that PhotoShop CS6 could only be upgraded from CS5 but not the couple more versions before CS5, but it looks like Adobe has backed down from that position. In the past, Adobe would let you upgrade from any one of the most recent three versions or something like that. For example, I never had CS4; I went directly from CS3 to CS5.</p>

<p>I tried to call Adobe about the upgrade situation as the only reason that I upgraded from CS3 to CS5 earlier this year was because Adobe stated categorically that you would not be able to upgrade to CS6 from anything other than CS5. Strangely enough they have changed their mind and now anyone with CS3 to CS5 can upgrade to CS6 up until the end of 2012. Nice trick in getting people to upgrade twice inside 6 months...<br>

Tried to talk to someone at Adobe and got this really, really faint transatlantic voice who asked me for my e-mail address and then hung up on me, nice customer service!</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html</p>

<p>You can upgrade from CS3 onward for $199 but only until December 31, 2012.</p>

<p>Now for $359, you can get the entire suite through the Creative Cloud which is a great deal IF you need any other Master Suite applications. Plus that gives you a Mac or Windows or one of each install (you buy via the non cloud option, you have to select which operating system). This includes updates as well. IF the rumors are true and Lightroom becomes one of the Creative Cloud offerings, the $359 becomes a more interesting option. Is it a good deal?</p>

<p>http://betanews.com/2012/05/09/is-adobe-creative-cloud-a-good-value/</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• 2 weeks later...