Leica 35mm Summicron with goggles: compatability?

paul_sharratt

Hi fellow Leica users - I'm sure many of you have more equipment

experience than I do and I need some advice. In 1984, I was

fortunate to purchase a mint M3 with a complement of lenses [35

summicron with eyes, 50 summicron dual with eyes, 90 elmarit and 135

elmar (lucky me!)]. Now I'm considering an additional body such as

an M6 classic, M6 TTL or Bessa R2. I'd like to keep the 35 summicron

with eyes because it is a great lens, is nearly mint and I don't want

to spend the extra money - so - my question is on what bodies other

than the M3 does the 35 Summicron with eyes mount on that would still

allow viewing through the rangefinder and eyes?

And now that I've perked some interest my follow-up question is the

combination I should go for:

M3 & M6

M3 & Bessa R2

M6 and Bessa R2??

Thanks for all your responses. I truly appreciate the help and

opinions.

Paul: Your goggled 'cron should work ok on any Leica-M (but not the CL) - I'm not at all sure it works on the Bessa-R2, though - the lens/viewfinder spacing is not the same. With the M6s you'll have to put up with the 75mm frame lines cluttering up the view inside the 50mm lines (I guess they represent roughly a 53mm field of view with the goggles on?).

Which answers half your second question - keep the M3 and add either an M6 or an M6ttl so you can use your 35.

As an owner of two M6ttls - the only significant reasons to choose a ttl version over a non-ttl M6 are: slightly more sensitive metering; the ttl flash capability; to get the .85x or .58x finders (my main reason); or to get the shutter dial and meter arrows to point/turn in the same direction. If you don't need one of those features get the non-ttl and save some bux, 2mm of height, and a few grams of weight.

Get the non-ttl M6. It will work with your 35. The shutter dial turns the same way as the one on your M3. I am a firm believer in the KISS theory: Keep It Simple Stupid! You'll get used to the meter direction in the finder faster than you'll get used to turning the same damned dial on 2 cameras opposite ways.

Paul,

The focusing cam profile is different on the 35 mm lenses with eyes. Infinity will be the same of course but DOF may not cover you at wide open settings at lesser distances.

I'm not certain whether or not the eyes will line up properly with M6TTL and M7 bodies with the taller tops they have. Perhaps someone can help here who has those bodies.

Best,

Jerry

Paul: I have both M3's and M6's (non-ttl). I would also opt for the non-ttl under the KISS philosophy. I use a 35 RF (w/eyes) Summaron on my M6's and it works fine. You do have to put up the extra frame lines, get used to it. As far as using it on a TTL version, I believe it will work fine. Others are using the DR Summicron's and the 135 Elmarit w/eyes on the M6 TTL and M7's without a problem. I have a 0.72 and 0.85 and I prefer the .85 body as it is closer the M3.

Cheers.

Jerry wrote: "The focusing cam profile is different on the 35 mm lenses with eyes. Infinity will be the same of course but DOF may not cover you at wide open settings at lesser distances." Jerry, there is something wrong here. If the lens has a 35 mm focal length, then the focus cam HAS to be ground so that it mates with a Leica M rangefinder mechanism correctly for both infinity and all closer distances. The goggles are just an optical device to adjust the magnification of the viewfinder of the M3 camera. If you mount the goggle-eye 35 Summicron on an M2 or M4, then the 50 mm view frame appears, but it is showing the field of coverage for a 35 mm lens. But the focus settings are still correct (i.e., an object 1 m away shows as 1 m on the distance scale). I assure you this is true; I use a goggle 35 often on my M2.

Where the confusion arises about focusing cams and lenses with RF eyes, is

when the RF eyes are removed. The focus cam is ground so that the lens

focuses correctly with the RF eyes. If you remove the RF eyes the lens will no

longer focus correctly except at infinity. As long as the RF eyes are left on,

everything will work just fine.

I'd like to make sure that I understand the responses so far:

1. Leave the eyes on my 35mm summicron and it will function on M3 - M6 classic by converting the 50mm frame lines to the field of vision for a 35mm lens; and the rangefinder will properly focus the lens.

2. We are unsure of the eyes working with the M6TTL.

3. The eyes will not work with the Bessa R2 because of the placement of the rangefinder and viewfinder windows on the Bessa.

4. Go for a Leica M6 over the Bessa R2.

Did I get that right? Does anyone have any more info on eyes on M6TTL? And, thanks to everyone - you are making my decisions easier.

Now for another small can of worms:

Should I keep the 35mm Summicron or get a 4th version summicron to use with the new ("used") M6(TTL)or get a "used" 35mm ASPH.