Acadia N.P.

derek_thornton1

<p>I will be spending 3 days in Acadia NP in June. I have gathered some info online and would really appreciate any input on the must see spots. I have a few questions.</p>

<p>1) Are there tidal pools in Acadia? If so, where is a good spot to find the tidal pools and what kind of species get caught in them.<br>

2) What are the best spots for sunsets and sunrises?<br>

3) Are there any common marine mammals in Acadia? If so, what are the best spots to view them.<br>

4) Are there any sizable creeks or rivers that produce falls or cascades?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help,<br>

Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

<p>I recall there being some small tidal pools along the Great Head trail. Park at Sand Beach, walk along the beach and up the trail that starts at the far end of the beach. When you come to the rocky promontory, scramble down (not difficult, but not exactly steps and handrails either). I've seen small pools there, and also birds on the rocks.</p>

<p>For waterfalls and cascades, I'd recommend bringing or renting a bike and exploring the gravel carriage roads. The roads are very well maintained, well marked, and contain quite a few stone bridges, each one unique. Since bridges tend to cross streams. that's the easiest way to find them. Some of the bridges are sited close to small waterfalls (note: we're not talking Niagra-size here) and you can get shots of the water through the bridge arch. The park web site has maps of the carriage roads, which you could use to pick your destinations.</p>

<p>You can walk the carriage roads, starting from a number of parking areas, but there are miles of them and you'd cover more ground on a bike. Plus, it's just a really scenic and pleasant ride, and since the roads were designed for horse carriages, there aren't a lot of steep hills. I bring my own bike, but I'm sure there are outfits in town that rent them (I've seen their bike-laden trailers in the visitor center parking lot). </p>

<p>Not to be missed...Lobster rolls at Thurston's in Bernard. Lots of Americana to shoot while you work up an appetite. Assuming you like New England fishing village kinda stuff that is.<br>

Another vote for bringing or renting a bike. The carriage roads, built by the Rockerfellers by the way, wander all over the place, the visitors center has maps. However, you can't bike the ones that are outside the N.P.<br>

JD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>1) Are there tidal pools in Acadia? If so, where is a good spot to find the tidal pools and what kind of species get caught in them.<br />2) What are the best spots for sunsets and sunrises?<br />3) Are there any common marine mammals in Acadia? If so, what are the best spots to view them.<br />4) Are there any sizable creeks or rivers that produce falls or cascades?<br>

<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>(1) Not that many, but you'll find them more on the southwestern part of the Island. Try the Wonderland trail in the seawall area. I'm no expert at what's in them, but lots of snails, some muscles, some sea urchins and lots of seaweed!</p>

<p>(2) Cadillac Mountain is the traditional spot for sunset (fight for your parking space). Sunrise anywhere along the Ocean Drive that looks out to the East. In June be prepared to rise very early if you want to catch sunrise</p>

<p>(3) Not that you will easily see from the "mainland". There are lots of seals but they prefer the offshore ledges and islands to haul out on. There are Dolphins around, but you'd have to be really lucky to get a good shot. All you usually see is a small fin breaking the surface. Small whales have been seen occasionally from the shore but you really need to take a boat out to where they are. I took one (twice) and was very seasick. I'm not going for "3rd time lucky'</p>

<p>(4) Sizeable, not really, but there are small waterfalls. Get a topo map (everywhere on the Island sells them) and look for where a small stream run down a steep slope. You can try Duck Brook. The waterfalls are VERY dependent on recent rain. If you are in the middle of a dry spell they may be no more than a trickle.</p>

<p>You might want to take a look at my Guide to Acadia National Park Photography at <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/acadia_national_park_photography_guide.html">http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/acadia_national_park_photography_guide.html</a> for some more tips.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I grew up on the coast of Maine, much of the time in Acadia. Most of Mt. Desert Island is part of Acadia, but the only part of it on the mainland is on Schoodic Point, right outside of Winter Harbor. I think Schoodic is easily the most beautiful part of Acadia. there are georgeus coastlines all the way to the point and lovely views from Schoodic. I have lived or worked throughout N. America, the Caribbean Islands, Europe, N. Africa, Near East, and several countries in SE Asia, however, I love coastal Maine above all others.<br>

Lynn</p>