Wich book to learn manual exposure ?

nico_bouchi

<p>I was looking for the best book to learn how to make manual exposure, with detailed explanations about the effect it will have on the picture ? <br>

I've seen a good book from Bryan Peterson, Understanding <em>Exposure.</em><br>

<em>What will be the best books for learning tricks about light and exposure ?</em><br>

<em>I already own Michael FREEMAN : "perfect exposure" and "</em>L'oeil du photographe et l'art de la composition" (can't find the original title...</p>

<h1>THANKS</h1>

<p>No book can be called the 'best book'. To understand the camera exposure you may read the book "The Manual of Photography, Photographic and digital imaging" By Ralph E. Jacobson et. al. Focal Press. Chapter 19 explains the Camera exposure determination.<br /> This book may not be the best one but an excellent book.</p>

<p>Regards.</p>

<p>Bryan Peterson's book is very much liked by many...I like a few of his other books as well.....they are a really good basics on the subject....I have read a couple other books on the topic, and most pretty much touch on the same vein and more or less get you to understanding how to use your camera's meter whether in aperture priority, shutter priority, or full manual - all require understanding metering to some degree - how it gets things right, and how we can be tripped up and prepare for such snags....<br /><br />Sounds like a good book Ammlan - I think I would like to read that one a bit later...<br /><br />Good luck!</p>

<p>I'd take Bryan Peterson's <em>Understanding Exposure</em> as a solid intro. But maybe one thing to make it simpler: you do not need to learn to expose manually, you need to learn how to expose correctly for the photo you want to make. Whether you do that manually, or in A/Av, P or S/Tv mode (*) - that does not really matter at all. The Peterson book explains this, plus the effects it has on the photo, very clear and to the point.<br>

<br>

I also have <em>Perfect Exposure</em> by Michael Freeman - definitely a good book, but far more advanced than <em>Understanding Exposure</em>.</p>

<p>(*) The reason I say it: take your camera, put it in S/Tv, and study what the effect is. Put it in A/Av, and study what the effect is. Change the ISO settings in each mode, and see what happens. Personally, I find this way of learning it easier than going all manual from the start.</p>

<p>This is not a book, but I think it is better, and it is FREE."Ultimate Exposure Computer" (the human brain).<br>

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm<br>

It's quick and easy to follow and learn. By learning how to figure exposure without any exposure meters, you really learn the fundamental concepts solidly. Try it out, you might save yourself $29.95. </p>