Getting a Linhof Kardan Color 4x5 camera

mohamed_sherif1

<p>Hello,<br>

I am used to shooting medium format but I never touched a large format camera! I am thinking of getting one to shoot large temples in Egypt. There is an item on the bay number 170831989808. The camera is Linhof Kardan Color. With a bit of search it seems good for a large format starter. Is it? Also, is the starting price about right? <br>

Thanks,<br>

Mohamed</p>

<p>That is a reasonable starting price for this camera with 2 lens. It is the last model of that camera and has the rising back.</p>

<p>The rising back gives an advantage over the 4X5 Technika - it has the front/back of a 4X5 technika V. If you turn the camera upside down you will have plenty of rise for the 90mm SA. Depends how close you are from the temple, you may need a 75 or 65 SA lens.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>John: Thanks a lot for your advise. I had to pass that one as wife is a bit irritated having amassed a dozen or so medium format gear! I guess this year I go to Sharm el-Sheikh in Sinai but may be the year after I get a large format camera and then to the temples!<br>

Carsten: I did some reading and indeed it seems other models/makes could be better for wide angle work. I also stumbled across something called wide angle bellows, which look more like a bag, and that was a discovery for me! <br>

Thanks all for your time and help!</p>