An Interesting Article About Lomography and Smartphone Apps

<p>Given that the vast majority of posts on this thread say far more than I said, I have a hard time believing I "chased away" anyone. However, it is interesting that the people who seem to have the most to say about their equipment and processes often seem to have a very defensive attitude about any photographs they might have taken.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are definitely entitled to have opinions and to share them in the forums. However, James Smith explicitly stated, "I have pictures taken with 30+ year old cameras that look better than ALL cell phone pictures." When you make such statements, it's not surprising that you'll be challenged to back them up.

<p>Mike Dixon,<br>

"When you make such statements, it's not surprising that you'll be challenged to back them up."<br>

====================================<br>

Challenged yes, verbally mugged - no. Thanks only to <strong>Sarah Fox</strong> for demonstrating that grown-ups can have adult values and behaviors. What a shameful exhibition this was otherwise.</p>

<p>James Smith properly summed it up to the bullying Moderator when he said this: <em>"You're right this is a photography forum. It is not a Stalinist gulag in Siberia. None of use has to respond to orders from other forum members demanding that we post this or that."</em></p>

<p>Thanks Ms. Fox. I am going to recommend to the management of the site that you would make a fantastic Moderator. You really have the proper attitude, and a good feel for it, and it was refreshing. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>come now, reality check</p>

<p>there has been no vitriolic name calling or verbally mugging in this thread or it would long since been shut down let alone a shameful exhibition of any kind. This has merely been a passionate, sometimes heated, discussion among peers. Remember that James himself has described this as a mild place and he's right.</p>

<p>Most photographers are passionate and care about what they do which reflects in discussions. Furthermore no one should forget that writing out opinions makes for another context then a discussion face to face does.</p>

<p>James was asked a very legitimate question and he went out of his way (verbally) to dodge that. That's his right but the simple fact is that if you spout strong opinions backing them up gives them a lot more credibility. It's merely a matter of choice.</p>

<i>James Smith properly summed it up to the bullying Moderator when he said this: "You're right this is a photography forum. It is not a Stalinist gulag in Siberia. None of use has to respond to orders from other forum members demanding that we post this or that."</i><P>

That's a lousy summary and comparison. True, he was repeatedly <b>asked</b> to post some photos to back up his claims, but he wasn't ordered to do anything. And he wasn't going to be shot, tortured, or starved for refusing--the only consequence is that he undermines the credibility of his own claim. <P>

Of course, I may be biased. After all, I'm also a Nazi moderator . . . ;-)

<p>"he undermines the credibility of his own claim."<br>

"Of course. Not much else to conclude."</p>

<p>What a load of elitist nonsense. There are a lot of other conclusisions, but they don't fit your description of what it takes for you to accept that someone has earned the right to an opinion. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>True, he was repeatedly <strong>asked</strong> to post some photos to back up his claims, but he wasn't ordered to do anything.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe the better term would be "badgered." He did, after all, say "no" many times and in great detail, and yet people persisted.</p>

<p>When someone refuses to back up a claim, should we continue to insist that they do, until they leave in frustration, or should we simply decide for ourselves that they haven't substantiated their point to our satisfaction and move on?</p>

<p>How many reporters repeat the same question over and over, after the first answer is "no comment?"</p>

<p>And somewhat related, along the same course of reasoning, how many adults will engage in the following exchange, ad nauseum?</p>

<p>Person 1: You're wrong.<br /> Person 2: No I'm not.<br /> Person 1: Yes you are.<br /> Person 2: No I'm not.<br /> Person 1: Are too.<br /> Person 2: Am not.<br /> Person 1: Are too.<br /> Person 2: Am not.<br /> Person 1: Are too, times 100.<br /> Person 2: Am not, times 1000.<br /> Blah, blah, blah.</p>

<p>I think there are identifiable points that exchanges become unproductive and start to be pointlessly aggressive.</p>