Cleaning body and lens of poison ivy.

nathangardner

So I got into some poison ivy photographing birds the other day and I'm sure my camera and tripod went through it too. What's the

best way to disinfect a body and lens? It's a 1D so it's weather sealed. I was thinking of wiping it down with clorox wipes to kill any

oils still on the camera. Is this a good idea or are there better options?

Soapy water is enough for the tripod and

the camera. The spores in my experience

wash off well. Don't use clorox, but alcohol

wipes should be fine in addition to soapy

water (wear gloves while cleaning...)

Unfortunately poison ivy thrives on climate

change (more CO2 in the atmosphere) and

has been getting more poisonous so watch

your step: the itch is unbelievable!

The urushiol is an oil, so you want something that breaks up oils, and just enough clean moisture in a pickup cloth to wipe

it away. Don't use bleach. Think about a handful of microfiber towels, the first one dampened with a lightweight solution of

something like Dawn dish soap. The last with clean or better yet distiller water.

You're more likely to get it off of clothing, shoes, a belt, or other textiles that have picked up a good dose of the oil. I was

in the field yesterday, and everything on me went straight into the hot wash laundry. Also a good time to check for deer

ticks.

<blockquote>

<p>A common source of poison ivy isn't poison ivy. It's dogs. Fido runs into the woods and picks it up on his coat. He then shares it with his master. Good dog. Just an fyi.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Drink beer in woods with friend and with dog. Step into bushes every so often. Dog is running around having a good time. Pet dog, PI oil on dog>hands> well, just be careful.<br>

The human vet may wonder how you got poison ivy <em>there</em>.</p>

<p>the active ingredient is an oil and Matt's suggestions are good.</p>

<p>Try Windex. I am quite serious!<br>

It has worked extremely well for me. Since I live in the Bay Area where poison oak is endemic, I get exposed to it frequently. Over time I became progressively more sensitized. One day in desperation I used Windex on the rash, it was the only thing at hand. It stopped the itching cold. Since using it I seem to have become less sensitized as well.</p>

<p>My sympathies. When I lived on the east coast, I could get the reaction by being in proximity of the leafless woody stems in the winter under a foot of snow. I have had the rash everywhere - yes everywhere - except my lungs - I have heard that you can get the rash in the lungs if you breath in smoke from burning poison ivy/oak/sumac. I get the reaction from exposure to English ivy. About 30 years ago when I was an active east coast woodsman, there used to be an over the counter lotion product that would prevent the rash. I don't know if it exists today, but if I were to venture into the woods, I would search it out. Good luck. I think alcohol breaks the oil down.</p>

<p><em>“Poison Ivy” sounds like a mysterious woman, that only a chosen few will meet under a full moon ;)</em><br>

<em></em> <br>

<em></em>I'm not sure that was exactly what the Coasters had in mind.</p>

<p><a href="

<p>Luckily there's not much poison ivy around where I live (or poisonous snakes), but I think I did get messed up with some poison sumac once while out shooting. I have to remember to look where I'm going while crashing through the underbrush.</p>