Bird ID Please

robbie_robertson

<p>I'd go with Yellow Rumped Warbler as well. It looks kind of scraggly though, or maybe a juvenile. It could also be a Myrtle Warbler, I am not sure if 'they' are lumped back in with the rest of the YRWA now, or split out.</p>

Daniel,Thats a good call too, I looked at myrtle as well , sure straggley . very pale , this one has a sure white wing bar, has the myrtle wing bar so white? Sorry Rob but you did put a good shot up for discussion! I am uk so these little jobs help me to test out only from ref.books not field experience Regards miken

It is a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Both the Myrtle and Audubon's Warbler are considered just on species:

Yellow-rumped Warbler. This is a Myrtle which is from the east. Audubon's is from Western U.S.

The Wood Warblers have recently undergone scientific name changes (Dendrioica has been eliminated)

Old scientific name: Dendroica coronata

New scientific name: Setophaga coronata

With all that, I am not certain whether this is a female in breeding plumage or a young male undergoing

molt. The white throat makes it a Myrtle. Audubon's has a yellow throat.

Nice photo!

<p>Thanks gents! It seems like females, juveniles and occasionally winter plumage leave me stumped. To be frank, I started looking through sparrow variations with this one. Photo.net turns out to be a very good resource, and I find myself asking questions here before I go to Cornell's bird site. Yupper a great web site.</p>

<p>Those eye patches are pretty dark compared to any female YRW I've seen around my neck of the west coast deserts & woods. Which doesn't mean all that much, considering my geographically limited experience and the bewildering variability of these perky and quirky characters, but I'm guessing it's perhaps more likely to be a young male YRW, like Kerry suggested/wondered as an alternative.</p>

<p>FWIW <a href="http://howardcheek.photoshelter.com/image/I00003BLIPWXowJU">Here</a>'s a similar looking bird from Howard Cheek's website. He doesn't specify where the shot was taken or which sex he thinks it was, but interestingly (and as a token of our collective confusion) an earlier and now vanished instance of this same photo on a different website had this down as a 1st year winter female :)</p>

• 2 months later...