Nikon Matrix Metering

whr_tam

Under which type of situations when the Matrix Metering best be

used ?

I made some pictures with this mode in a contrasty situation, but

found the main object - a person's face was under exposed.

So, I always use the Spot Metering and have got good results. Is

Matrix Metering really a joke?

My Nikon doesn't make a very good job of composing the picture left to its own devices, either.<br>Honestly! This camera automation is all junk, isn't it? What good is technology if you just end up having to do the thinking for yourself?<p>Seriously: No metering system can be a replacement for the photographer's eye and brain, and there will always be situations where manual intervention or interpretation is needed. That's why Nikon provide you with the option of 3 metering modes in the camera, because they know that no single metering system is infallible.<br>It sounds as if you just found one of those situations where matrix metering was inappropriate for the result you wanted.<p>Far from being a joke, I've found that Nikon's matrix metering gives a far higher proportion of acceptable exposures than their previous centre-weighted system. But you have to realise that the camera's metering system isn't a mindreading device. It doesn't know whether the highlights or the shadows of a contrasty scene are the most important part of the subject - only you, the photographer, know that.

If you're always happy with spot metering, don't bother with matrix metering.

But if you find yourself wanting to take a series of pictures of a subject moving in a landscape of changing lighting... matrix will probably make excellent decisions quite rapidly.

Truth be told, most of the time matrix metering results in awfully good exposure decisions in the blink of an eye.

Backlighting can fool it (and for backlit subjects spot metering is a terrific way to avoid underexposure).

Have fun,

Did you shoot slide film or B & W negative film that you developed and printed

yourself? Otherwise how do you know if the "underexposure" wasn't a

problem on the part of the person and machine who printed your color

negatives?

As pete A. pointed out : the Nikon matrix metering systems are incredibly

good, but yes you have to sometimes apply your own sense about what is

going on n terms of lighting, and most importantly, what <I>you</I> want in the

finished image. the Nikon metering system is incredibly good --as is the

Canon equivalent-- but neiher system are yet able to read your mind.

I think it depends on the situation. I shoot with the nikon f100, equipped with what is supposed to be one of the best matrix metering systems out there. When shooting landscapes or portraits, I have enough time to use manual mode and have full creative control over my shot. When in situation like sports or journalism, the matrix metering system is an invaluable resource, and as far as I can tell, it is very hard to fool.

I found earlier a page that might be of your interest; it illustrates common metering modes:

http://www.photozone.de/bindex4.html,

which leads you to PHOTO TECHNIQUES and then in the left column just below "BASIC HANDCRAFT" you may click on "Light Metering" and there you are. Sorry, I couldn't find a working shorter link...but I hope it helps.

Regards,