HISONR & LEISONR settings and View NX

arun_seetharam

<p>I always set my</p>

<p>High ISO Noise reduction to "Normal" <br /> Long Exposure Noise Reduction to "On"</p>

<p>on D700 and D3s. I shoot only RAW. Post process in Lightroom and sometimes in NX2.</p>

<p>My images begin to show perceptible noise from ISO 1200 onwards. These two settings seem to have a mind of their own. Because when I look at the EXIF for the raw images using Nikon View NX, sometimes they are shown OFF and OFF, sometimes NORMAL and OFF, respectively. It doesn't seem to correspond with the camera settings. They confuse me always. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I understand these settings do apply to the RAW Images and are carried as meta-tag data. <br /> My firmware version is 1.02. Is there a way to make these settings correspond with the camera?</p>

<p>I would indeed appreciate your insight into this. <br /> Thank you!! <br /> Arun</p>

<p>It might be a camera system error/flaw. These weird things do happen as time passes. Maybe taking them to the service center might help?<br>

If I'm right...I remember they are only recorded in JPEG as in-camera adjustments, while RAW is neglected.<br>

I remember High ISO reduction only takes effect after an ISO of 1600 or above, and setting it to high only "rubs" your picture more blurry so the grains are less prominent. So in which case, you end up sacrificing sharpness/overall image resolution in order to "rub" your grain off the image.</p>

<p> Also Long Exposure Noise Reduction seemed like really redundant function, atleast to me it is. According to my uncle who has done comparations with the function, it doesn't really reduce much noise, all you get is the extra processing time within your camera(Which might lose you a few shots at golden times like sunrise/sunsets) after your shutter closes, bringing extra work to your processor. So I suggest you turn it off instead.</p>

<p>I have both NR's on off(since D70 and D700)<br>

high iso-> I prefer to do it my self instead of the camera.</p>

<p>Long exposure: I switch it on when I use long exposures, becuase it takes some memory space in the buffer(D700 17 to 10 pics). What it does is making a new picture, after the real one, with the same exposere and a closed shutter, so the noise should be the same, and subtract that from the original picture.</p>

<p>Long Exposure NR shows as OFF when it's not used. And it's only used for shots longer than something like 6 seconds or thereabouts. The same applies to High ISO NR - for me it shows as OFF for ISO200, and as LOW for ISO800 (on a D300, I do not know for the D700 and D3s when this NR kicks in).<br>

So what you see is completely normal, and actually reflects whether the camera applied the setting, or not.</p>