Lens Line Up

Two23

<p>"I regularly analyze my lens line up"<br>

...this VERY strongly suggests you are far more interested in gear than you are in taking photos. I was a pro for years and knew many others, not a single one of them analyzed their 'lens line up' EVER, let alone on a regular basis.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Some people where discussing their lens lineup here, so here it is mine.<br>

I shoot DX and film, and I like to keep things cheap, simple and light, as I use it mostly for travel and when going around in my new beautiful state of California. I don't want to sacrifice too much on image quality, especially like shooting in natural light, but was willing to make some compromises.</p>

<p>*On my DX (a D3100, the camera may be entry level but it is light and does what I want):</p>

<p>-Tokina 11-16 f/2.3 (it is manual focus on my D3100 but who cares at ultra wide angle), paid 550 $ used. Got some great pictures with this lens.</p>

<p>-Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8. My walk around & low light lens, love it. Paid 200 $ new</p>

<p>-Tamron 60 mm f/2 Macro. I went for this because I wanted both a portrait and a macro in a small lens that would autofocus on my D3100 and that performs well in low light. This is a compromise lens, I know a 90 or 85mm would be better for portrait or macro, but that is just too long for the DX crop factor, especially if I take low light pictures indoors. Rather than have 3 dedicated lenses in my bag I just went for this one. It is good but not stellar, serves its multiple purposes well. Paid 500 $ new.</p>

<p>-Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5 VR. Yes, this is a cheap lens with a plastic bayonet, but I am actually quite happy with its optical performance, plus it is light, light, light, covers the telephoto range that I want and fits nicely in my travel bag. Paid 150 $ new. </p>

<p> total paid: 1400 $ for the whole, and quite versatile, relatively compact DX lens collection </p>

<p> When I travel I either take all 4 lenses, which all fit in my medium-small bag, or I just take the Tokina, the 35 mm F/1.8 prime and the 55-200 telephoto. For day to day shooting I just leave home with my camera and the 35 mm on it and just use that. If I want to go for just 2 lenses I sometimes add the tamron or my telephoto zoom. I occasionally use my film camera lenses on my D3100 as well but that breaks my "few lenses portability rule".</p>

<p>*On my Film camera, Nikon N80, cheap, good and relatively compact. I made sure I could use all these lenses in my DX D3100 with autofocus as well, so they are all AF-S versions. The N80 can use Gelded (G) lenses.</p>

<p>-Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G . Walk around. Paid 220 $ new.</p>

<p>-Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8 G. Portrait and short telephoto, great on my film camera and a nice alternative for my DX camera. Paid 500 $ new</p>

<p>-I use the tokina 11-16 on the 16 mm focal length, at that length it does not really vignette and works great in my film camera. Cannot go below 15, but in a film camera that is plenty wide.</p>

<p> Total paid for my film lenses 720 $</p>

<p>*What do I want? </p>

<p> Well, not much more, with this I am mostly covered, perhaps a good low light 24 mm prime that can be used both in my D3100 and my film camera would be what I need but I am finding those lenses too expensive. Nothing else really.</p>

<p> </p>