AI 300/f4.5

charles_swanson1

<p>There are different versions of the 300mm/f4.5 AI, but in 1978, Nikon introduced a version that is IF-ED, i.e. with internal focusing and ED elements. That one has a tripod collar that is detechable, which should be obvious if you have that lens in front of you or have a clear picture of it, as there is a hinge on the tripod collar.</p>

<p>But there are other AI versions.</p>

<p>I think you are better off visiting Roland Vink's photosynthesis site in New Zealand on the list of 300mm lenses. Please keep in mind that the AI era began in 1977 and AI-S started in 1981/1982. Therefore, any AI but not AI-S lens should be introduced in that 4, 5-year period in between: <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#300">http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#300</a></p>

<p>Click on the links for each version and there may be images for those lenses.</p>

<p>I have the <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai300ed.jpg">300/4.5 AI ED (non-IF)</a> and have handled earlier AI and pre-AI versions. The tripod collar is not easily removable - some disassembly of the lens would be needed. The later AI and AI-S ED IF versions have different tripod collars that appear to be hinged and *may* be more easily removable, but you'll need to confirm this.</p>

<p>As Lex says it must be confirmed by an owner... looking at the pics it seems that the Ai and Ai-ED (non-IF) versions doesn`t have the hinge of later models. My guess is that they have the same type collar.<br /> My IF-ED collar is "hinged", and easily removable; I only need to loosen the bolt.</p>

<p>As per Lex's note, the hinged collars come off quite easily. Note on the superb photosynthesis site that Shun sent you to, some editions of the lens have two weights, some only one. The two weights indicate with/without collar. Thus I believe that's a good guide to which have collars that come off and which do not. </p>

<ul>

<li>AI 300/4.5 - tripod collar cannot be removed</li>

<li>AI 300/4.5 ED - collar cannot be removed either (mechanically it is similar to the non ED version)</li>

<li>AI 300/4.5 IF-ED - narrow hinged collar can be removed</li>

<li>AI-S 300/4.5 - hinged collar can be removed</li>

<li>AI-S 300/4.5 IF-ED - hinged collar can be removed (it is wider than the AI version so is more stable)</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't have complete information for all lenses yet, for example I don't have the weight with/without tripod collar for the AI and AI-S 200/4 micros, but they do have removable collars. Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Thanks Roland.</p>

<p>Hard to belive that Nikon introduced some 5 different versions of the 300mm/f4.5 all within 5 years or so. Since the beginning of the AF era around 1988, there has been only two versions of the 300mm/f4 AF, (1) AF and then (2) AF-S in some 24 years. Where is the VR version? :-)</p>