sensor cleaning

evannorth

<p>Evan, just FYI from my experience...I don't have a D7000, but I cleaned my D70 myself with no problem. My D90 I took to a local reputable camera dealer and they said it was good that I did as the D90 sensor is difficult to clean--I have no idea if that is really true or if it was just marketing blather. At any rate, I had to return my D90 to them a second time as spots were still showing...and even after that second cleaning I STILL have spots (which I clone out in post). Maybe other D90 owners can weigh in on what's true and what's not. Was my local dealer incompetent? I'll watch the responses as this interests me, too... </p>

<p>Hi evan:</p>

<p>Over the years I have put up with sensor dust (on my D70, then D200 and then D300) because I was shy of a "wet" cleaning. Finally, since my D300 is now ancient, I lost patience with inteminable cloning and bought a one-use wet sensor cleaning product from "VisbleDust."</p>

<p>(This strategy was implemented after I realized that sitting in my casa populaire in Cuba attempting to scrub dust from my sensor with a micro-fibre cloth draped over the eraser end of a wooden pencil was NOT increasing in effectiveness just because I continued drinking Havana Club rum).</p>

<p>The process seems well controlled and I was able to entirely remove 80% of the dust with the first pass — virtually all of it after the second. It's expensive, but less so than taking it to a store where they probably care marginally less about your precious camera than you do!</p>

<p> On my D200 I use eclipse 2 cleaning solution and photographic solutions small sensor swabs. A couple of drops of eclipse on the swab and I swab one way and turn the swab over and then swab the other way. It cleans the sensor 100% and takes about 3 minutes. There is no reason to pay somebody to do it or to have a dirty sensor. It's a simple process.</p>

<p>I thought the "self cleaning" feature was enough. I switch lenses constantly (almost daily) and I've never seen any dust spots on any of my D7000 images, unlike on my other cameras (including D70) that did not have the self cleaning feature. I've had the D7000 for almost a year now.</p>