FE2 mirror stuck, M250 and B wont release it.

alex_guzun

<p>Hi all,<br>

got an FE2, and mirror is stuck, i always released it turning dial to B or M250, but not this time. Also tried fresh batteries. Advance level is stucked also.<br>

Please how to unlock?<br>

Read somewhere i need to open bottom plate and manually press something.<br>

Thank you for any suggestion.<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Have you ever had the camera's foam replaced? If not, you probably need to get it done (or do-it-yourself...) as the FE2 is fairly old in 2012. </p>

<p>Perhaps someone else has more insight into the workings of your camera....</p>

<p>Advance Camera in Portland Oregon can service your camera. I am guessing that Nikon's new anti small business policies would not make any difference in old camera's such as the FE2 but I am not sure. Probably gummed up internally somewhere. I had an FE2 once and it did the same thing and it was from old foam internally. New foam, lube and adjustment will get it going again. </p>

<p>C'Mon guys don't tell me what not to do :)<br />Im not a beginer and i know how to manipulate with mirrors, and Sebastian you would surprised how can i restore dirty mirrors from gummy old light seals ;)<br>

<br />It just never happend to me before to not able to unlock mirror by known B or M250 mechanical way.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>"Dirty shutter magnets" is a common problems with cameras that time including Canon F1, T90 and the problem often happens after a long time sitting in the closet. Clean shutter magnets is the solution, even though most the time forcing the shutter to release a few times also solve the problem</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Hopefully Michael Freeman will chime in; he's the one that knows the most about FM-type bodies around here."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nice of you to say, but I'm certain that there are some folks around here who know a heck of a lot more about the internal mechanical workings of the FE/FM series than I do.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"What is "2", it moves freely and only touched by small pin under it at the end of advance"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is the "mirror charge lever". When the shutter is cocked it can rotate freely on its axis. When the shutter is released, it will be rotated (counterclockwise in your photo) by a small lever (what you refer to above as a "small pin") to rest against the end of the shutter charge lever (long flat black slotted lever).</p>

<p>"1" is what Nikon calls a "lever, double exposure preventing", but it is actually a lock that prevents you from advancing the film without releasing the shutter, so it's more of a "double wind preventing lever". When it is worn out or not working properly, you can advance the film through the entire roll of 24 or 36 without ever making an exposure.</p>

<p>Sorry, I don't have a solution to your problem, but obviously there is something mechanical sticking within the mirror cycle linkage.</p>

• 3 weeks later...